Off topic: Librem 11 tablet

What makes you think coreboot hasn’t already been ported to the Librem 11???
Coreboot was ported to the standard Jasper Lake SoC RVP (reference vehicle platform) by early 2020. I’m not an expert, but I doubt if there was (or would be) significant more work necessary for coreboot on the Librem11. Besides, I thought Purism had the status as “In Stock” with a Lead Time of “10 days”???

2 Likes

Oh, I missed that it ships in 10 days. All Purism’s other boards are supported in Coreboot, but I’m guessing that it will take a while to get the L11 supported upstream. Still, I would have expected to see the L11 mentioned in their firmware changelog if they are ready to ship it:

I’m guessing that it is still in a private project that we can’t see.

1 Like

I’ve read they exist and will eventually be made public.

1 Like

I found where they are working on it. It’s under the “purism_next” branch:

3 Likes

I do have a small concern (temporary) about reinstalling PureOS on this: will this just require a live ISO and run through the typical installation process? If this is the case, it seems like we would need to contact support for an ISO rather than be able to help ourselves since Crimson isn’t available and https://pureos.net only shows Byzantium builds.

1 Like

BTW, it’s really annoying that the search function doesn’t work in Purism’s GitLab installation, so it is hard to find stuff. When I do a search, I get:

403 Forbidden
Request forbidden by administrative rules.

@guido.gunther, @francois-techene, @joao.azevedo, @dos,
Is there any chance that you can give the public access to the GitLab search function?

4 Likes

Yes, once Crimson is released then it will replace Byzantium on the PureOS website, just like how Amber was replaced by Byzantium years ago.

Or at least Amos access? :wink:

A valid issue to raise. I’m sure Purism has lots of loose ends like that to tie up.

In the meantime … I wonder whether a random ISO will boot - at least to an acceptable point where enough hardware is working even if not all hardware is working.

They could ship the Librem 11 with a USB flash drive that will boot. That should be enough to image the internal drive so that you can at least restore the image if not reinstall. (But the live boot could also contain some kind of installer.)

3 Likes

Yeah :joy:
---------------------------------------------------------9--------------------------------------------------------------
About Librem 11 i really nervous for it, because this predict the future of Purism which I will kick out Purism

Predicting the future is difficult. :wink:

We can only really speculate as to what the Librem 11 implies - unless Purism chooses to clarify.

2 Likes

The global search in our gitlab instance is disabled, but you can still use the search function in each group.

1 Like

Has this any reason? Some time ago the global search was enabled and I like it more than the per-group-search. I was not asking before, because I thought it’s just a temporary thing.

yes, it has a reason. It was used in the past to DDoS our gitlab instance.

5 Likes

The non-user serviceable battery concerns me, but I’ll wait and see before I make a final judgement on whether or not to get one. If it’s a situation where this is just a “test case” for whether or not they should invest in engineering a proper tablet with the full privacy feature set and repair-ability that makes the Librem 5 exciting, I might buy one just to support the effort.

2 Likes

I cannot make a similar justification: the product needs to be exactly what I want and nothing less. There is no point attempting to fool myself into using a flawed product because I would simply never use it.

1 Like

Glued/Sealed Battery in L11 just not make Purism legacy. RIP Purism :headstone:
:cry:

What I miss here are any comments are statements from Purism about the technical aspects and questions. @joao.azevedo , @dos , are you reading us? :slight_smile:

As well a tear-down of any L11 in other places would be of help…

1 Like

Yes, Mr Purism, please add this product to the FAQ, providing all technical specifications and answering all of the questions that have been asked.

1 Like

A port has already been done for quite a while. @jonathon.hall would be the person to ask about upstreaming.

EDIT: I should have read the entire thread before replying…
But there is a picture of it.

5 Likes

Also because why not :slight_smile: a Librem 11 on the left attached to two monitors, with the same terminal emulator window stretched across all 3 displays. And running cowsay

11 Likes