One Device to rule them all?

i for one haven’t exhausted the current potential of the technology i’m currently ON so why should i care about how far convergeance CAN go? i’m quite certain that there are people in this world who get paid to HAVE concerns regarding this issue (though i don’t know of what their level of interest in ethics/philosophy is)

There’s a limit to how useful that is. If the application parallelizes well then go for it. Hexacore … Octacore … Decacore …

Otherwise it means something significantly new on the hardware front or significant software rework in order to make better use of parallelism, or both.

Maybe a hardware brick wall would be a good thing - get people thinking more about quality than quantity i.e. freedom rather than performance.

1 Like

IMO, it will be VERY hard. Even SBC computers like Novena or PineBook have a tough time keeping them usable. The boards (not including battery and whatnot) are bigger than the Librem 5.

That being said, check out Nexdock. It will be compatible with the Librem 5.
Plus, it *sounds* like it will *probably* be H-Node Class A compatible.

1 Like

The web site does say that - but it doesn’t say how they know that.

One minor criticism would be that the weight of the Nexdock is about the same as the weight of a laptop with the same sized screen. So you could simply carry around a laptop, at least for some scenarios. The laptop wouldn’t give you the convergence as such but you could get a lot of the same experience.

Nope it probably won’t, for me.

The stuff I use my computers for, is often too resources hungry I think. If you mostly do mails, surf and write documents, your completely fine.
But at least 50% of the computer users would be fine with a RasPi, so for them it works as a one device to rule them all.

Already available: https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ASUS_PadFone_X_US/ …not Linux of course :wink:

1 Like

the next dock looks like a chrome-book … the rspi 4 has two m-hdmi ports so it’s a better alternative for most people needing two screens. also cooling potential is greater. also 4 pin power over ethernet easily accesible on the board.

to each their own. That is one beastly looking device IMO.

You’re probably right.

I would still want to own and carry a classic, analog watch (connected to my computing resources or main device) that helps me to communicate and stay connected. That one could host some storage to carry all my secrets (passwords, certificates, keys, OTP generator, etc.) and let me do communication by something else than a stupid, smallish watch screen. That’d be nice!