Plasma Mobile Q's for the L5

Does anyone know if Purism via PureOS will be offering a KDE plasma version for users to put on their devices or will a flash/install of KDE Plasma need to be done (when instructions become available) for the L5?

Currently I only see the following platforms offered on the KDE Plasma Mobile site.

Im Hoping to see an addition of either PureOS or Librem5 added to the KDE Plasma mobile site soon.

1 Like

You might be interested in some of the info and opinions provided in random order in these posts, if you did not already read them:

https://forums.puri.sm/t/purisms-deceptions-and-misleadings/13315/22

I hope that Purism includes the phone shell in their desktop PC version of PureOS. I am anticipating the possibility that I might be able to log in to that PC remotely from my Librem 5 (once I have it), and set the phone shell display back to the Librem 5. As a result, this might allow the cell phone to operate with all of the resources (huge RAM, huge SSD, a large selection of large installed applications) of the desktop pc. With a VPN and port forwarding, the server should be accessible from everywhere that an internet connection exists. All data would also reside on the PC. The phone might be not much more than a smart communications terminal. If it ever got lost or stolen, the thief would get nothing but an empty locked-up phone, with a lock-out from its intended server.

2 Likes

PureOS 10 already includes these packages;

gir1.2-handy-0.0 - GObject introspection files for libhandy
handy-0.0-examples - Example programs for libhandy
libhandy-0.0-0 - Library with GTK widgets for mobile phones
libhandy-0.0-dev - Development files for libhandy
gir1.2-handy-1 - GObject introspection files for libhandy
handy-1-examples - Example programs for libhandy
libhandy-1-0 - Library with GTK widgets for mobile phones
libhandy-1-dev - Development files for libhandy
phosh-core - GNOME/Phosh mobile Environment -- essential components
phosh-full - GNOME/Phosh mobile Environment, with extra components
phosh-games - games for the GNOME/Phosh mobile environment
phosh-phone - GNOME/Phosh mobile Environment -- phone components
phosh-tablet - GNOME/Phosh mobile Environment -- tablet components
phoc - Wayland compositor for mobile phones
phosh - Pure Wayland shell for mobile devices
phosh-doc - Pure Wayland shell for mobile devices - development documentation
phosh-mobile-tweaks - Pure Wayland shell for mobile devices - GSettings tweaks
phosh-osk-stub - OSK stub to fulfill session dependencies

Amongst others.

Thanks for responding. It looks like once I get the phone, I should be able to install PureOS on to one of my Intel NUC6 boxes. Granted, a Librem Mini would probably be the best choice. Then, I should be able within my home WiFi network, to log in to the Linux box from the Librem 5 and set the PC display using the phone shell on the PC, back to the phone. All of my configuration work will be done at home anyway. Then once that is all working as expected, the last step will be to turn the wifi at the phone off, the cellular data connection at the phone on, and set up VPN and port forwarding on my router to allow the Librem 5 to get past my router and in to my home network.

I am sure that there will be some hammering on my home router to make everything work. But success at that point should be found in getting the cell phone data connection between the Librem 5 and the PC running PureOS, to work together as well as it worked using WiFi. Once that happens, I should be able to leave my WiFi network and go anywhere with the Librem 5, and still run applications from the PC in real-time, from the Librem 5. Granted, the only applications that will format well on the phone will be those that are supported by PHOSH. But with as much RAM and SSD resourcing as I can get in my home PC server, the Librem 5 should have virtually no hardware limitations that I can think of unless I need to buy a bigger home L5 app/file server.

The benefits of this configuration can be many:

1.) My data can stay safe at home where it is routinely backed up.

2.) From anywhere in the world, the phone could be used as-is, or plugged in to a big monitor/keyboard/mouse, to literally put me on to my home PC and run any PHOSH or non-PHOSH program that is installed in to the home server, and using all hardware resources of the PC with or without the desktop hardware plugged in to the L5.

3.) If the L5 is ever stolen, all the thief gets is locked-up hardware that connects to a then-blocked server.

4.) When I sit down at my home PC and login there, everything will be exactly as I left it, regardless of where I last used it from.

5.) I could install an independent opensource web-crawler search engine at home and run searches from my L5 that do not require Google or any other search provider.

6.) Email and anything else can be served right from home, where no spying or advertising will be built-in. The only customer would by myself. Any time I get tired of new forms of privacy violations, I can think of how I might move the violating service or app in to my home server. Eventually, a person could almost disappear from the information grid altogether without giving up anything to do it.

7.) The next step would be to share these resources with family members and maybe with friends. I am guessing that a properly configured server PC might support several L5 users.

Looks like a nice idea. How will you address flaky/unstable/slow connection from the phone terminal to the home-based computing device?

That is a good point. I guess it will depend on which, if any of, or if all programs don’t have satisfactory connections most of the time.