Please more battery capacity

Helo,

I find it very good, that the battery capacity of the Librem 5 phone has been doubled.

I know, I’m just a bit egoistic. But can you bring battery capacity up to 2 days?

That would be great if there would be more battery capacity.

1 Like

I think there is a solution for you: Power Statistics - #16 by fralb5

Just to nictpic, increasing capacity would mean increasing either physical battery size or energy density - but in any case modifying the battery. External batteries and powerbanks would do the same and are already available :slight_smile: Decreasing consumption of energy is what you’re looking for… but for such a goal (about double), you yourself might need to stop streaming that 24h yuletime fire from youtube (or other such energy hog [sorry, couldn’t find non-youtube example, but that probalbly makes it more apt here]). Or other drastic changes in user behavior. Mere system efficiency improvements might not be enough.

Pardon my fun but your ask is not a small one and Santa is already finishing up the delivery of last minute Xmas miracles - so, you are very likely to be disappointed.

That being said, the development of better batteries would be an interesting option to solve the problem and something not yet considered in other threads (if my memory serves), where there are more in depth conversations regarding L5 energy.

Does anyone know if the batteries L5 has are actually good or could they be better?

1 Like

You may get up-to 4 Days in Phone Mode when all is Enabled. There are lot things to Enablement to get Full Gnu Power on Librem 5. So just wait and keep supporting Purism!

This seems feasible if someone manufactured an e-ink display for the device. That’s probably the easiest path forward for significantly extended battery life.

2 Likes

Anyone with electronics experience here? What would it take to build a case that can have two or three batteries stacked on the back and plugged into the usb-c port?

They have these cases for android devices: https://www.amazon.com/android-battery-case-Covers/s?k=android+battery+case&rh=n%3A7073958011

It would be a thik boi but it would be an easy solution that can be rigged up on your own. Was kind of thinking about this for my self as well.

1 Like

I guess currently not. But the science is going on for different types of materials that could store 3 times the amount of energy. Let’s say we could have 12,000mAh inside the L5 without additional space. :star_struck: I think it’s not unrealistic, but I don’t think we should wait for that. It can take years or even over a decade. Who knows how fast science and industry get results.

1 Like

We have to wait for further updates to power saving and hibernating.

I just load and turn my phone completely off over night.

I think the key is that the modem could wake up the phone by an incoming call. If not only every 10 to 15 Minutes (like A and A did) to check for App Push notifications and check for Geo Information, or nearby air tags (to sell), will wake up the system for milliseconds. However we need code for a “sleep till Minute X” (like a known wake up time), cause we have a known running Process/Schedule at that time.

Or the free and open Source view. If we have another device already online 24/7, which could wake up the phone, if a message is incoming. So you know… its not easy. And its about collecting information about the phone usage and the world around us. And with blue tooth low energy and the 99% right knowledge about behavior in future its easy to wake you up in the future.

This just a rough estimate, but weighting the battery (78.2g) and using the official energy content (17.1Wh) the L5 4500mah battery has the approximate energy density of 219Wh/kg. The latest news of research from this area (but possibly not applicable to such small consumer batteries) talk about a bit over 700Wh/kg record. Volumetric size is about 570Wh/l (very rough rounded estimate) vs. 1650Wh/l.
Sooo… a better battery of same size but doubled or tripled energy content is possible in 5-10years (from research to mass production). Something to look forward to with any device that has a changeable battery (after they make sure they are safe for commercial use).

1 Like

What’s about diamond batteries? Buy one battery and use that single one for all phones you will ever daily-drive without charging.

But in real, we will get new batteries thanks to e-mobility researches. Those cannot only store more energy, but are also saver, using more common materials and can be used in more “extreme” temperatures. We really could need such stuff for any kind of portable computers. At the end we will see which technology will succeed.

1 Like

Or… how about we get a nuclear battery for L5: Tiny Chinese-made BV100 radioactive battery can last 50 years — and it's coming in 2025 | Live Science? This is probably going to take a few years but the initial size is promising. I’m a bit disappointed that this doesn’t seem to be the glow-in-the-dark variant :radioactive:

2 Likes