Pocket button presses

Is there some way to stop it pocket pressing the up and down volume buttons?

2 Likes

Ask it nicely.

Sorry, I really donā€™t know how to answer this for youā€¦ Walk with a different swagger? Wear different pants? Does it only happen with particular pants?

Maybe the question is: Can I make it that up and down volume is only recognised in software when the phone is unlocked? There are definitely circumstances where you wouldnā€™t want that behaviour but maybe that would work for the OP.

I had this problem with other phones and solved it by using a billfold case, but cases for the L5 are still being developed and not widely available so we will need to brainstorm for the interim solution. A holster case if one wants to attach it to your belt. :pensive:

Maybe this?

I use this for my gā€¦gl phone and fits in my ā€œbigā€ pocket:

I think many phones also detect whether they are in a pocket in some way to disable accidental button presses.

For example when getting back from suspension it could check light/proximity sensor data, microphone or gyroscope data to determine whether itā€™s in your pocket or not. If it is, the phone could go back to suspension. To make it error proof, it might store the timestamp when it prevented resume like this to allow two presses of the power button in a row for resume no matter the sensor data.

1 Like

Wider and looser pockets help. If the pockets are too tight, the buttons and switches become easier to accidentally toggle.

Pocket detect mode is the only way to solve this. I listen to podcasts while working on the farm I can tell when the screen is on because my leg is getting hot. Very annoying when your doing something very active.

2 Likes

Instead use a bluetooth earpiece? :wink:

Doesnā€™t solve the power button getting pressed randomly while itā€™s in my pocket.

Yeah, it does because then the phone doesnā€™t need to be in your pocket. You can listen to podcasts and receive calls.

So when Iā€™m out in the field putting up electric fence where would you have me put the phone? I use a set of worktunes headphones which work great BTW and keep the mosquitos out of your ears.

While I despise Apple, itā€™s founder had a valid idea that one does not make the user adapt to the device but the device should adapt to the user. I understand this product is nowhere near that level of sophistication yet but what Iā€™m asking for here isnā€™t really that earth shattering, it already blanks when a call is in progress and the light sensor is not receiving any light. Pocket mode should be not much of a stretch here I would think.

What about little scripts as a workaround?

For sure, volume buttons could be disabled while phone is locked. The problem with the power button may be slightly more complicated. Could be automatically started on lock and fetch the proximity sensor values every x seconds. However, that would keep the phone awake and would interfere with suspend + drains battery.

Looks like its an Android feature called pocket mode ā€¦

The Pocket Mode in OnePlus is a cool, and self-driven feature that enables its user to listen to the mobile ring while it is placed inside his pocket or bag. It automatically turns on the ringtone, raises its volume, and enables vibrations, so anyone can easily listen to the ringtone of his phone and attend the call before disconnecting during travel or any other task he is performing after putting the mobile inside the pocket. Also, it prevents you from random or accidental dialing from your phone by disabling the touchscreen sensors for that particular time when you have put your phone in the pocket.

I wonder if the source code for how they did it is in the open source Android for inspiration?

Its not the worst thing in the world this, but I do find odd time the phone is going ā€œpop, pop, popā€ in my pocket if I squat down and adjusting the volume by itself. Sometimes Iā€™ve then missed a call because its gone into quiet mode. I also once or twice answered the call on taking the phone out of my pocket,

1 Like

Fair enough.

If press-and-hold on the power button is implemented in hardware then I donā€™t know whether you can disable it. (Press-and-release is different.)

which I guess isnā€™t a problem if @raenrfm is listening to a podcast.

Pocket mode is even more needed on the iPhone, where shake-to-wake (via the accelerometer) means that the damn thing activates the touchscreen when in your pocket even if put in sleep mode. (I thought that I had disabled that option but apparently not.) The other day I was walking around in the yard and I could hear music playing in the distance. Then I realised it was coming from my pocket where I had managed to pocket wake the phone, pocket launch Shazam, and pocket play some music. Rolls eyes.

A fellow electric fencer :smile::+1:

1 Like

I have pigsā€¦you?

Goats Butā€¦ I digress

1 Like

Iā€™ve been thinking about this topic also.

My idea has been to use some kind of usb-c device to lock or unlock the phone for these cases.

Pocket mode is a sensor based mode and there might be ocasions one is carrying the phone with all hks enabled and thereby disabling all sensors.

option 1

Use a usb-c device small enough to be left in the connector while using the phone or having it inside the pocket.

lock or unlock all keys depending on whether the usb-c device is plugged in.

option 2

plug in and remove usb-c device to lock all keys. Repeat the same to unlock again. Maybe it could be done using the LibremKey to add a security aspect. The LibremKey and a small usb-a usb-c adapter is dangling on my keychain anyway.

What is about a specific code done by the 3 buttons? Activate it via touch input (maybe a button on the drop down menu layer or as option to auto enable) and deactivate it via holding volume up button and push power button, volume down, power, volume down or something similar in a short time frame. Itā€™s not 100% save, but lets say 99% saver than without. And also works without sensors enabled and without additional devices.

Just an idea and I donā€™t need any solution, because I donā€™t have any problems. So itā€™s up to you (all) of that could be a handy enough solution.

1 Like

The real answer is to try and compile gnome or some other heavy program while the librem 5 is in your pocket. Not only do you get your own personal heater, but the battery will die so fast that none of the buttons will do anything anyway. Problem solved.

3 Likes