POP3 -for- email

By the way, I just came across the project that trivially lets you configure IMAP like POP, it’s called offlineimap. I don’t know if it’s in the pureos store or not, but it makes it easy to have a local Maildir mailbox (or a set of them) fed by any imap/pop server.

4 Likes

It is heartwarming that projects like offlineimap exist. IMAP is a superset of POP3, but the power of bad defaults is overshadowing it. I’ve been using just two differnt clients these days, Thunderbird and Geary, and they both, by default, insist that you keep your mail on the server.

Server-centric approach should not be the default, but sadly it is, and not only for e-mail.

I have a local folder in Thunderbird for Saved Emails, for taking emails off the server.

2 Likes

This is approximately what I do, when I want to do that, but doesn’t that require manual drag-and-drop?

Thunderbird creates “Local Folders” by default. What you do with it is up to you.

Yes. I was merely pointing out to @Dwaff that one doesn’t have to leave one’s mail on the server with Thunderbird.

1 Like

Well, it requires drag-and-drop, no reason that must be manual… xdotool is pretty sweet. Not that I would recommend that solution for automating thunderbird.

1 Like

I downloaded an extension that lets me move messages from the keyboard with a shift+m.

Then you type the partial name of the folder you want to drop it to and select it.

You can also select bunches shift+up or shift-down arrows and move them also. Helps when you have interminable threads from list-servers.

1 Like