Product suggestion: large-format e-reader

Seeing the Remarkable, I was really interested in getting it for textbooks and notes, but it was too expensive. It looks cheaper now, but with the limited functionally and not being open, they’ll need to be cheaper for me to pick one up.

If Purism does make one they’ll need a new shell, einc (e-ink compositor)?

Lock at the pocketbook. Supports many formats, good choice of models and reasonable prices. I had one of the first models for a few years and was quite happy with it.

I just want to chime in and say that the reMarkable 2 (but with a limited color screen) is pretty nice. I wrote them a bunch of e-mails suggesting they add features and open source it etc. Basically, if Purism were to make something similar to it in the US, it’d probably be ideal. By the time that’s done I’ll be able to afford it! :laughing:

1 Like

Can one integrate it with Calibre?

I would love to buy an e-reader with RYF designation.

Right now I use a Kobo, which I connected to the internet to activate and now just never put it on a network, so that my reading habits cannot be watched. My books come from individual publishers that sell DRM-free ebooks, Smashwords, etc.

If Purism creates a RYF E-Reader, I would definitely be interested.

I doubt it. It is running Linux but I can’t find any further information on the OS. Nor have they responded to my requests for any source code.

Codex — A purposely designed Linux-based operating
system for low-latency digital paper displays

1 Like

Same! I spent $30 on a rather old e-reader. It’s anything but fancy but it does the trick until we can convince Purism to make a classy, versatile, libré one.

2 Likes

@Dwaff Apparently someone put Parabola GNU/Linux-libre on reMarkable. Check this out: http://www.davisr.me/projects/parabola-rm/

4 Likes

I’d really like a RYF large format e-reader with a color touch screen. Just powerful enough to be smooth and responsive when drawing or writing with a stylus.

Feature requests:

• large, color screen. Any amount of color would probably be acceptable.
  • Touch screen for writing & drawing
  • hardware kill switch for WiFi / Bluetooth
  • SDXC card reader
  • water resistant for reading at the transit stop/cafe/concert/etc
  • USB 3 type-C
  • optional stylus addon at checkout. Multiple levels of sensitivity
  • A vocal range focused speaker might be interesting for text-to-speech.
    Maybe. Big points for accessibility; don’t think anyone else is doing this but, I haven’t looked hard.
  • optional folio type cover/case with slots for actual paper & stylus, that can stand up e-reader at multiple angles

Software:

• Calibre. This is pretty powerful once you figure it out.
  • Fediverse (GNU Social specifically) application mainly to share syndicated articles.
  • XMPP client would suffice for microblog posting. I suppose even Profanity or Finch in a terminal would work. lol
  • Joplin, or other good note taking / typing application
  • Something for sketching and colouring. GIMP is overkill. Heavy image manipulation is for the L9 or L15. :wink:
  • Epiphany with bookmarks for various public domain, Creative Commons, and DRM free books and indie stores.
  • torrent client because why not download directly if you can?

Only issue is we seem to be starting at $800 for a color screen? I’m sure there are others and I don’t think a full demo kit is necessary. Hopefully this prices drop next year.

Either way, as much as I like the reMarkable and other higher end, highly featured devices, I’m just not willing to pay for a new proprietary made in Asia device. Not when I’ve got any hope for Purism to do it on the continent I live on by people making a livable wage under fair conditions.
This would undoubtedly be more elegant than a hacked together SBC with a cheap e-ink screen. And, it’d be more libre, I’m sure.

This just in:

3 Likes

@BeaverTek, you definitely want to follow the progress on the PineTab and PineNote. Last I checked, PINE64 was having trouble getting parts to produce the PineTab and it is going to take a while to get good Linux support for the RK3566 in the PineNote, but they will run a standard Linux stack and many distros. However, they will never be waterproof, and FOSS text-to-speech is subpar and I don’t know of any good proprietary text-to-speech that runs in Linux.

My advice is to install LineageOS on a tablet if you need something today. I bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) to install LineageOS and then discovered that Verizon had locked its bootloader, so you need to be careful what you buy.

I think there are a few tablets that /e/ can be installed on as well, from both official and unofficial builds. That would provide a more Google-free option. [Edit: …than Lineage, I mean.]

The module is applied at a maximum refresh rate of 85 Hz.

Indeed: “At present time, there is no default OS for the PineNote.” But anyway, the price of $399.00 (without import costs) includes several important certificates (available under wiki.pine64.org). Hopefully helping out to @patch by adding current informative update on this topic and/or wishing to get some spare time to order this interesting device?

Oooh, thanks for mentioning PineNote. I was considering Remarkable, but it stinks on so many levels. PineNote, with a comparable price, looks much better.

I was gifted a Kobo Libera 2. It’s got it’s pros and cons and will do for now.
Otherwise, best solution would be to tape an external/USB e-ink screen to a Librem laptop. :laughing:

@Dwaff, I think that this link should further help you decide (whether to purchase it or not): https://github.com/DorianRudolph/pinenotes. I do not plan to buy it for myself, but please keep us informed here if you get one, your usage experience …