Pure OS Audio quality

youre probably right, but Id like the dac in the amp to take charge of the decoding of hi res music over my general purpose pc. Im into the overall soundstage not BASS as my neighbours keep complaining.

have you tried playing hi-fi audio files with MPV (Celluloid) - for AV files if you press i while in playback-mode you will see some media info.

VLC offers you some info as well while playing music ctrl + i if i remember correctly (havenā€™t used VLC in a while)

We have lift off!
I tried MPV but dragging a file into did nothing. So I switched to VLC and its sending it to the amp at 96k therefore it must be something to do with Audacious or rhythm box as they are still downgrading it. So now we are getting somewhere how can i be sure its sending the file as 32 bits and the default decoder is s16xx which i assume is 16 bit.

Also FYI your can enter pulseaudio -k in the terminal to restart pulse without rebooting if you make any more changes.

2 Likes

You could try to force an error as shown below. Warning: This is off my Librem 5 i.e. completely different hardware, both audio and everything else.

aplay -D hw:0,0 foo.wav
Playing WAVE 'foo.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
Available formats:
- S16_LE
- S24_LE
- S32_LE

Iā€™ve been lucky here in that the hardware doesnā€™t support a crappy WAV file recorded off my microphone on a different computer, thus provoking the software into reporting the formats that it does support.

Anyway the goal is to see whether S32_LE is listed.

I would suppose that the LE stands for ā€œLittle Endianā€ i.e. the 2, 3 or 4 byte samples are stored low-byte-first, but that may not matter for the purposes of the question asked.

2 Likes

This may be of help.

2 Likes

the program foobar came highly praised for itā€™s ā€˜donā€™t touchā€™ playback ā€¦ i see itā€™s not on the PureOS software store by default.