PureOS not able to connect to internet, accept through Tor Browser

NordVPN is not connected. I have it configured to auto-connect, but it is not able to connect currently upon reboot, as it normally would.

I’ve logged out of the NordVPN app, and rebooted, but still no connection.

Ok, perhaps it screwed your resolver.
regarding editing resolv.conf as root - are you sure you cannot edit it? vim may complain it’s readonly but you still should be able to save it with :w!
If not - can you give output if
ls -la /etc/resolv.conf
lsattr /etc/resolv.conf

OK, so is the router NATting this?

Is everything else on your LAN in the same subnet, the router’s LAN side included?

It isn’t really valid to use a public IP address on the LAN side. However given that you are using openwrt, I assume you have checked that out and are satisfied that openwrt handles that correctly.

As DNS is not working - which doesn’t mean that DNS is at fault or misconfigured - I would look up the IP address of t.co on another computer and replace t.co in those two commands with its IP address.

Maybe.

Given that you can SSH in to the router, can you communicate from the problematic laptop to another computer on your LAN?

It may be easier to put a web proxy on another computer on your LAN (than on the router).

proxy is a nasty thing but omnia has tinyproxy out of the box iirc so you can try to play with it.

1 Like

Output of above commands:

ls -la /etc/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 70 Nov 29 13:42 /etc/resolv.conf

$ lsattr /etc/resolv.conf
----i---------e---- /etc/resolv.conf

Upon trying to edit /etc/resolv.conf (:w!) I get:

"/etc/resolv.conf"
"/etc/resolv.conf" E212: Can't open file for writing
Press ENTER or type command to continue

ow, wow, so indeed immutable. you can unlock it by
chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf

2 Likes

@ruff: Thank you, so much.

This solves the problem. How this file got changed? No idea. But clearly, this was the issue. I can now ping the internet.

Thanks everyone who helped me with this!

1 Like

must be nordvpn locking the file from local update, and perhaps it crashed or system was shut down without it being able to unlock it back.

2 Likes