Purism Investment Opportunity Email

No wonder Kaz can’t get puri.sm to invest in HIS venture.

2 Likes

As an unhappy customer (or more precisely, someone who has prepaid for his phone and never received anything in return), I think it’s high time that Purism raised funds of this nature, rather than using their customers as de facto and unknowing angel investors (with corresponding financial risks, but without a corresponding angel investor potential level of return). If anything, it seems to me to be a bit late for such fundraising. There are many disgruntled customers and the company’s reputation is not the best at the moment. It’s usually easier to raise money when things are looking rosier. Having said that, the NSO Group/Pegasus story makes the timing quite opportune (funnily enough, I came across that company in 2012 when they were a startup). Funny that Purism opened their convertible loan note on 15 July 2021, whereas the Pegasus story broke when - 18 July 2021? Either lucky timing, or the Pegasus story broke earlier than I know, or maybe Purism had some advance knowledge that it would break.

I, for one, wish them success in raising the funds, if for no other reason, so that I can get something for the money I have prepaid.

I have not read the document in detail, but it looks like a typical convertible loan note (without having read the details, where the devil always hides). The only thing I would say is, usually such investments can only be marketed to accredited investors which usually means people with certain minimum levels of assets, or income, professional investment experience etc. So if Purism has approached you, I assume they have checked that it’s OK to market this kind of investment to you. If one markets such investments to someone they should not, they can find themselves in hot water pretty quickly.

3 Likes

“This is a good faith requirement, since there is no way for Purism to validate your accredited investor status, by investing you are stating you are an accredited investor that is defined as meeting any one of the following: earned income that exceeded $200,000 (or $300,000 together with a spouse or spousal equivalent) in each of the prior two years, and reasonably expects the same for the current year; OR has a net worth over $1 million, either alone or together with a spouse or spousal equivalent (excluding the value of the person’s primary residence); OR holds in good standing a Series 7, 65 or 82 license; OR any trust, with total assets in excess of $5 million, not formed specifically to purchase the subject securities, whose purchase is directed by a sophisticated person; OR certain entity with total investments in excess of $5 million, not formed to specifically purchase the subject securities; OR any entity in which all of the equity owners are accredited investors.”

I don’t know how it works in the U.S. exactly, but usually the restrictions involve not just only being able to take investment only from accredit investors but also marketing the investment only to accredited investors.

E.g. if you send 50 pages of legalese (being the investment agreement or memorandum) to someone who is not an accredited investor (especially, someone who is not an experienced investor who can afford the losses and who can be relied on to be able to understand the legalese) and somewhere in the small print you say “don’t invest unless you’re an accredited investor”, that usually is not enough to get you out of hot water. But, again, I don’t know exactly how it works in the U.S.

1 Like

“Accredited investor”??? :rage::poop::face_vomiting: The very concept is un-American. Please, everyone wake up and LEGALIZE FREEDOM!

5 Likes

Under Australian law the equivalent term is “sophisticated investor”. Is that better or worse? :rofl:

The key point is not that the government can determine who can or cannot invest in a company. It is whether or not the company that is issuing the shares (or notes) is required to meet certain disclosure requirements (disclosure to the potential investor).

3 Likes

Investments reached 101%. Extra cash means faster restocking right?

Not if the parts simply aren’t available at the moment due to global supply chain problems.

Extra cash always helps though.

2 Likes

I’m hoping it’s used to perchase a large enough trout to slap all the carriers around with hard enough that they stop the volte whitelisting and the l5 will then be able to do volte with hopefully less effort required going forward.

There’s no specific mention of trout.

The Purism web site says:

We will use the investment funds for additional parts procurement in preparation for large production run of stock, continuing funding of all our freedom respecting revolutionary software development, and new funding for more convergent applications in PureOS for the Librem 5 phone.

The actual terms are less specific and say “for the operations of its business”.

1 Like

Remember that the stock market is a game of fifty-fifty chance of winning, where one investor, read gambler, wins at the cost of another losing. That is how the money changes hands and gets concentrated in the hands of those with the ever deeper pockets. Is why only those with known deep pockets are advised to be the only ones to play this game. The occasional poor person who invests and wins big is the same as a lottery winner; blind luck or, very savvy investor. Those are the only three kinds that should ever get involved; the already rich, the extremely smart, and the plain lucky. Guess who tends to win in the long run?

1 Like

Investments reached 137%! :open_mouth:

This is enough to produce large batches of librems.

3 Likes

I am happy that it appears to be working. I may have had problems with Purism in the past, but I’m still waiting on my L5, and I really do appreciate the work they have been doing on the phone front. I also think that the L14 is a great accomplishment compared to the previous L13 and L15 models.

6 Likes

So what happens when I’m not “accredited investor” and live outside US? Will I loose everything at the moment when everyone profits? Redditors say Purism must verify the status: https://teddit.net/r/Purism/comments/om9za4/email_purism_investment_opportunity/h63c59t/#c

Speaking in a personal capacity, modern finances are not a zero-sum game. Hell, finance was not a zero-sum game ever since people started exchanging colorful beads as tokens of debt.

As long as the total value of exchanged assets grows, the odds are in investors’ favor.

5 Likes

Diversification is the key word in all investments to have some chance of earning dividends, unless one is an inside trader, an illegal method. Sign up with other low work income investors and make one big fund. That is sometimes recognized as it is in the case of Brilliant Light and Power. They ordinarily require any investor to show proof of having been an earner of over $200,000 per year for the last four years minimum to be allowed to take part in their $40,000 per share entry point.
If you help yourself via BrLP then you also help Purism, if they see the wisdom in buying futures in the photonic devices that this forward looking company is developing, based on predictions of their classical quantum mechanical theory that, is poised to replace Standard Quantum Mechanics. Due diligence in this respect has been done by many others such Florida power utilities who have gone as far as to sign leases for the flagship device of BrLP, the Suncell which, has been shown to produce power at a cost far below that of any other method known.

Impressive! $1,100,000 beyond the goal. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Discussion on Hacker News: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27949435.

This is only tangentially related, but I was curious if you could elaborate or give more examples of these “new opportunities.” Then I saw this article in the news; is it a good example of what you were referring to?

Whether you live outside the US is very likely not relevant. The restriction is imposed by US law on Purism as a US company. If you are not an accredited investor then you can’t invest - and by “can’t” I mean “shouldn’t” since you can lie to Purism and Purism won’t know that you are lying but I would not encourage you to do that.

(In Australia for the equivalent provision, you actually need to submit recent certification from a qualified accountant that you as the investor meet the conditions - and, since most people who meet the conditions would have an accountant, that isn’t too much of a drama.)

1 Like