Questions about completely removing the cellular modem

My Librem 5 has no problem waking/resuming from sleep/suspend when I click the power button or plug it into a charger, but it can’t yet wake itself out of sleep/suspend when the alarm clock is set to wake me. It also can’t wake/resume for matrix notifications from the Chats application, but I haven’t tested this in a few months.

It looks like much of the work being done relies on using the cellular modem in order to wake the device, and I understand that is important for the majority of Librem 5 users. I hope that there is a plan for users like me that do not use a cellular modem and wish to get notifications from non-cellular applications.

Sorry for the wording in my previous post. I edited it to be less confusing.

That’s because the clock app does not even try to set it up to wake up from suspend yet. There’s ongoing work to let it do that as an unprivileged app.

It never will. This kind of stuff will be handled by periodic wakeups regardless of whether you’re using cellular data or WiFi.

In general, resuming from suspend is completely unrelated to whether you use the modem or not. The modem only has an additional ability to wake the system up on incoming calls and SMS messages, but that’s all.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation. I understand now, and I edited my summary/solution post to point to your answer. And thank you very much for your work on the Librem 5.