Questions about receiving donations using Liberapay and alternatives like Monero

If you are heading towards the direction of VMs, there is a very recent guide for separate Monero wallets on Qubes OS:

There is also another older guide that still works for creating Monero wallets in Qubes-Whonix, starting from this post:

1 Like

Hey, sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks for the links. I had already come across them in my research, and while they are helpful, I don’t want to use this approach. After some more research, I’ve decided that the Feather Wallet flatpak is what I want.

I’ll hopefully have it setup soon and will probably add it to my “About Me” post.

Thanks again for the help.

1 Like

Okay, I have configured a split Feather Wallet setup. Before sharing an address for receiving donations, I would appreciate input from anyone knowledgeable about Monero:

• What is the best approach for receiving donations?
    • Primary account or subaccount?
    • Primary address or subaddress?
  • Are there any drawbacks from one option over the other?

I’ve seen donation pages with the primary address of the primary account, but I’ve also seen some using a subaccount/subaddress. So is one option obviously better?

Thanks.

1 Like

It is generally recommended to use sub-addresses. It does not really matter much though. Just don’t use the same address for different identities. You can assume Monero by itself is very private. It is hard to do something wrong. Revealing your identity is generally done by bad opsec elsewhere, like giving the same address to someone who knows you as on your secret donation page.

You can assume different sub addresses are not linkable. If you want to be even safer, you can use different wallets for different identities. Transaction fees are low, so it is no problem to move XMR around.

If you are curious about best practices I recommend watching through all episodes of breaking monero.

2 Likes

Thank you. I guess I just wanted to be reassured that subaddresses are the way to go. I’ve added a specific subaddress to my profile here on the forums, my profiles on the fediverse, and Codeberg.

1 Like

This is probably how I would personally approach it using hardware wallets. To keep track of different identities, use different silicone covers or other marker for each wallet, colour-coded based on delegated trust/value similar to Qubes OS. The Trezor Model T, for example, has five different options:

1 Like

I definitely see the benefits of going that route, but I don’t plan on having any other identities for Monero.

1 Like

Sure, in that case, I would just use the primary address of the primary account. If you ever need to increase your identities in any way, you can either generate subaddresses or additional separate Monero wallets.

1 Like

Well I already shared a subaddress, and I think this’ll work out well enough.

Thank you again for the continued help.

2 Likes