Questions for buying used

I seen a Librem 5 on eBay here in the UK. Just put a bid in for it… fingers crossed.

• What sort of questions should I be asking?
  • When I receive it, what sort of things should I do, just a factory reset or is more advisable?
  • I think the seller came from the US and bought it there… Will it work in the UK, or which modem will I need and do Purism sell it directly?

Any other advice I’m all ears

1 Like

Reflash it with a new Byzantium image.

You will need the Broadmobi BM818-E1 cellular modem, which is for Europe:

If this is your first Librem 5:

3 Likes

There is currently no factory reset, by the way. You have to reflash (reinstall) the OS.

1 Like

My recommend will be to keep ur L5 saved till Gnu Crimson released, otherwise youre going to suffer.

1 Like

I would check how old it is. Newer L5 have the newer modem, I think from Jan 2023. Also the age may give an indication on battery life, with a newer phone in theory having a better battery life than an older one.

2 Likes

What are the differences from each batch? I’m seeing references to batches across the site. Ngl, getting cold feet over the purchase tbh! As cool as an idea the phone is, I’d say 80% of the threads on here I can’t follow or don’t understand :frowning:

1 Like

There are technically six released batches:

• Devkit
  • Aspen
  • Birch
  • Chestnut
  • Dogwood
  • Evergreen

To be brief, they vary in battery capacity, size, and thus weight. The current batch, Evergreen, has a 4,500 mAh battery.

There is one unreleased batch:

• Fir
1 Like

… which is only “notional” at present. No info on when it might be produced, and I doubt that any planning has gone into it yet.

1 Like

The vast majority of phones are in Evergreen batch. To make your life simple, I suggest you make sure that a phone from the Evergreen batch is what you buy if buying second-hand.

1 Like

I got a bit scared to be honest as I read into things. This morning I was outbid and I’m not going to bid higher. I have been on this forum since 2019 and following along from a distance the L5 project. Rossmann’s video last year put it back to the front of my mind, and whilst I didn’t really care too much for the point he was making, it had me casually browsing.

I love the idea, I love convergence and being free of big tech more than all of the other aspects but there is too much on here I don’t understand at all and probably won’t for a long time.

Perhaps in the future, but for now, it was the closest I ever came to owning a Librem 5.

1 Like

Get up, you can still win it at a good price. We will be happy to help you regarding L5 things.

Stay in Purism

1 Like

Not before removing those eBay tracking URL parameters first:

2 Likes