[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

Yes the IT world is complicated and a wide field, with sub disciplines and (like any other field) it’s own jargon.

Many terms are pure marketing without substance or even misused by marketers. There has been to many hypes in this branch. I don’t like that.

On the other side there are terms that are fine. I like the terms program and software but they are no synonyms. Software can be a program but not every program is software. And applications are programs that serve some function to the user and not to other software.

To get to your question: I don’t think you will have to learn to much if you use the L5 similar to an android, but every system has it’s differences to others. And that’s why I think you might see some new stuff. This depends on what your Linux expertise is. And also some of the people here will do crazy things with the L5 that could hardly be done with an android not even to say iPhone.

2 Likes

This might be less of an issue than you think: over here in the Netherlands my provider - T-mobile - has switched off MMS support over a year ago. They say they did so because of a lack of demand - presumably everybody switched to whatsapp.
Of course this borders on the unacceptable, but it does mean the lack of MMS is a non-issue for Dutch L5 users.

1 Like

Interesting. Yes, I’ve noticed that everybody in Europe uses WhatsApp, to avoid the cellular providers’ charges, I guess. It’s just too bad that Facebook owns it now. For that reason alone, I know I’ll never use it.

8 Likes

Access additional Terminal keyboard controls by clicking on the globe icon (reveals Ctrl, Alt, and arrow keys, plus other symbols, controls, and Function keys)
Press the >_ key to see the extras.

3 Likes

Wi-Fi Hotspot setting:

7 Likes

The setting is there but is it actually working?

In my experience (may not apply at all), when you use WiFi Hotspot, you need to have the cellular modem enabled - because the phone will route (and probably NAT) from the WLAN to the internet via the cellular modem.

I think someone was working on displaying the Hotspot’s access details (SSID and PSK) as a QR code, so another phone could scan the QR code and use the Hotspot. (Not sure I would have much use for that since most of the time the other phone can access the internet directly, but it’s something I would test.)

2 Likes

A full Thai VKB would be nice, as my SO is Thai.

While I have changed keyboards in phosh, I could never get the Thai language to show up on squeekboard.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ll check it out and report back…unless Purism can tell us the answer here first. I haven’t had my coffee yet, nor have I ever tried to use a hotspot before.

One use case I’m aware of is, say, you’re traveling overseas with another person and only one person has cellular data. You could use the hotspot to share your data connection with your travel companion. (Or you’re in an area where your SIM has coverage, but the other person’s SIM does not.)

2 Likes

Thai, Thai (Pattachote), and Thai (TIS-820.2538) are listed as options in Input Sources/Choose keyboard layouts or input methods. I tested them and the keyboard didn’t change from the Latin alphabet.

Thai is not one of the options under Language or Formats.

In the store repository, I searched and found “Thai X terminal” which supports Thai (TIS-620 encoding), but didn’t install it.

1 Like

I have turned in a college essay while in a moving car using my laptop connected to my phone’s hotspot. It might be easier for you to just try and connect with your computer versus a phone, particularly for troubleshooting.

2 Likes

I have used android hotspot at a location without Ethernet and wifi internet access to connect my laptop via the phone’s hotspot via cellular radio to the internet.

I wonder if the tethering / hotspot stuff is the same WLAN station mode as with ordinary access point or if it is an ad-hoc mode and if a phone or a laptop could act as a kind of repeater or mesh station.

Also: to connect a separate tablet or laptop via the hotspot.

Thai (like many other) translations and keyboard layout haven’t been done or aren’t quite finished, so there probably isn’t anything to change to (hence the default), I’d quess. There are some chalenges to do translations but the keyboard for Thai has been at least started, as can be seen from the link.

For anyone else: layout process is less painless at the moment (and more important in my oppinion), as it’s directly under Purism (and @dcz) - see tutorial.

I found a FOSS keyboard on Android for Thai, I could de-compile the APK and try to work on the Thai layout for Squeekboard

If I got help with any upstreaming if it looked good, I’d be glad to.

Using the L5 as hotspot, my Android appears to connect and have a low-strength connection, but the browser says there’s no internet connection, and an email won’t send when I try.

Using the Android as a hotspot and connecting the L5 works fine.

4 Likes

I personally, am checking my email every day…

I wonder, if it’d be possible to have GNOME and Phosh running concurrently, then have phosh turn off upon docking, then everything “refresh” for GNOME

GNOME 40 would look amazing on the L5 if it could be done… But considering PureOS lags a bit behind Debian Bullseye (I presume) it might be a bit. Bringing back auto rotate would be nice as a toggle-able feature.

How about convergence =)
Do you have an adapter to use the L5 with an external monitor? Than you would not have to send emails around.