[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

There was one update to download. Check for updates by opening PureOS store.
Preloaded apps:
Phone dialer
Messaging (Chatty)
Browser
Contacts
Calculator
Chess
Clocks (time, stopwatch, alarms)
Document Viewer (i.e. pdf)
Email client (Geary)
PureOS Store (software/app downloads)
Settings
Terminal
Text Editor (notepad)
Usage (system monitor)
Weather

Observations (and I’m still learning the OS layout/actions:

Switching between pages/settings/apps is a little laggy, but not too bad. When switching between apps, you’ll first see the last app you were in before it switches to the newly selected app

Entering location name for weather, time, etc., takes a few seconds to populate with known place names.

Touch responsiveness is better if you let fingertip linger on the screen for a fraction of a second.

Phone calls/SMS work. Will report on MMS later.
Internet works.

I’m disappointed to see no dark mode. (Maybe coming later?)

Phone boots up fast.

Doesn’t appear to remember Screen Lock OFF setting. Requires entering unlock code. (And you can set your own code.)

I don’t see a way to display the contents of the drive, unless you can do it through the terminal.

Bluetooth file transfer with another device works, but I don’t know where the file downloaded to on the Librem 5 (because of above).

Can’t figure out how to get phone to default to my time zone. EDIT: Figured it out: Don’t select Automatic Time Zone. Then you get a world map to choose your time zone.

I don’t see a VoLTE setting in the mobile options. (I’m using an AT&T MVNO.)

15 Likes

Never mind…it’s in Usage (system monitor) under “Storage”. All the expected items are there: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, Trash, etc.

3 Likes

In my Downloads is a photo I sent over bluetooth, but I can’t seem to open it even though it registers my touch.

1 Like

There are thermal sensors for the vpu, gpu, cpu, and battery. Cool! (The phone is actually warm, though.)

4 Likes

Queue jumper. :rofl:

1 Like

You may not have a default image viewer set. If you go to PureOS Store and search for “Firefox” for instance, you will be able to install it and it should automatically set itself as the default image viewer.

4 Likes

Any plans for something like eog? Firefox is a bit heavyweight just for viewing images.

1 Like

Searched for Firefox, found Iceweasel. Download failed.
But is a browser the best solution for this? Is there a way to set default programs?

1 Like

Ya and it runs, but it doesn’t entirely fit yet, unfortunately.

4 Likes

It depends. You can also search for and install “eog” but as I mentioned, it isn’t yet adaptive and you may have to use it in landscape mode.

4 Likes

Must be a bug in the PureOS Store. You could also use the terminal and type:

sudo apt install firefox-esr
6 Likes

I just downloaded Caja (file manager) and it offers to find the appropriate program to open a file. I’ll try an appropriate image viewer.

2 Likes

I’ve found the “nemo” file manager package also works well on the screen’s form-factor.

3 Likes

It’s also worth noting that the apps that show up in the PureOS store categories when in phone mode, are apps we have approved as being adaptive.

However if you search you search through the whole APT catalog and a great many of those applications you will find are not yet adaptive.

10 Likes

Overall, what can you say about the hardware?
How is the phone quality?
What would you say about those three toggle buttons? Do they feel solid and can last longer?
Does it get heated when you charge it? I meant, does it have “Fast Charging”?
Did you make any phone call?

Does it have a premium feel like Purism laptops?

4 Likes

We are finishing up an introductory video now that should hopefully answer your questions by showing a full walk through. Give us another day or so.

13 Likes

Understood. gThumb Image Viewer seems to work for viewing images.

I’ve noticed that programs I download don’t show up as a shortcut on the installed apps screen. I’m able to get to them again through the Store, though.

By the way, should we create a separate thread for Q&A-problem/possible solution, or is this as good a place as any while we’re ironing out the issues with the delivered phones?

Edit: One did populate, others didn’t.
Edit2: Downloaded apps now showing in app drawer.
Edit3: Actually gThumb doesn’t scale all that well, in case anybody intends to try it.

2 Likes

The goal of the video is to demonstrate the current, base, shipping state of the device without any extras or beta things installed. Some of our videos we’ve posted show the current capabilities, but to get the phone to that point (such as using Anbox) isn’t plug-and-play yet.

We are working on reviews, but when they come out is up to the reviewer. I agree it makes sense to prioritize reviewers who understand what it is we are doing. If someone comes at the Librem 5 from the standpoint of “is this an iPhone killer?” or just compares specs on paper, they aren’t understanding our goals with this initial release or what the Librem 5 or PureOS is about.

13 Likes

I will have limited availability to do one-on-one tech support long-term. I just happened to be browsing through the forum.

1 Like

If you lock the screen and leave it alone for 5-10 minutes (i.e. allow it to go into standby), then call it, does it wake up to notify you of the call? I should clarify: does it wake up soon enough to actually answer the call?

This has been a problem for me on the Pinephone where it takes a long time to recover from sleep mode and will only wake the screen after many rings, resulting in the call going to voicemail because the “answer call” button doesn’t appear quickly enough.

2 Likes