Reflashing Roadblock

The L5 I have, needs to be reflashed. I updated it the other day and that was before the fix was released a few hours later. So I got a brick with a black screen, like so many others. When I do a live USB of PureOS, the system doesn’t see the WIFI card on my machine, so that’s a dead end without internet.

Is there any other way to reflash?

Save your L5 for now till Gnu PureOS-Crimson. Then reburn.

1 Like

Did you try Ctrl-alt-f1 to log into a different terminal and fix from there? You can possibly skip the reflash

2 Likes

How far away is Crimson?

Not much time.
@dos any ETA for?

1 Like

No, and don’t hold your breath for it. It will be done when it’s done.

3 Likes

I have the USB-C hub incoming, the very same one that the company sells, in route. It’s my backup plan. It doesn’t solve the long term problem.

I would like to reflash to start over, as I’m still running the same OS that came on the machine. If I learned anything about Linux based OS’s, you gotta have a flash drive ready in case you gotta reinstall just in case. I also am curious to see if the machine will run better after the reflashing.

I once formatted the computer’s harddrive instead of a flash drive by mistake. I was up and running in about 3 hours after using the dodgy wifi in a pub in Croatia. Those beers were well earned!

1 Like

It’s not a brick, it’s easily recoverable without reflash.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

:rocket: dos

1 Like

I had a similar problem to you. I was able to reflash my L5 and everything was much better. Performance, reliability, etc. Faster bootup, faster connection to wifi, vpn, etc. And, it has a smaller footprint on the drive, than the OS image that was shipped from Purism.

the hoyoki hub does work really well for me as well.

1 Like

Try Debian instead.

1 Like

Ubuntu works fine for me - uuu is available out-of-the-box with recent releases and Ubuntu is more permissive as far as impure hardware goes.

Probably not a dead end, just inconvenient. Ultimately the flash process is from a local file. So you could download everything booted normally and then make it available to the live boot.

Otherwise … WiFi dongle? Ethernet dongle? Built-in ethernet?

My opinion: Waiting for Crimson is not a plan.

2 Likes

I just reflashed the beast, and it seems to be running a little snappier too. Thanks to ya’ll for the support, and I feel happy I can start from scratch if I need to with the OS. I was able to do it with an Ubuntu machine I had laying around. It saved me the headache of trying to figure out why my PureOS live wasn’t detecting the wifi card in the host machine.

Linux for the win!

2 Likes

Do not forget to update the firmware too. See my post below for an ordered list.