School/Work ? Advice On Pc

board status isn’t a good indicator of anything. Ice Lake SoC code has been in coreboot for quite some time, and there are several Google/Intel boards in the tree utilizing it

5 Likes

This is good. Iris is a pretty significant upgrade to Intel HD graphics. It would be nice to get the better graphics. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The other side of the coin is that with a parity of TPD, a better GPU performance is paid by a worse CPU performance:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1944-intel-core-i7-1065g7/

that’s ok for me … will the iGPU come with the proper documentation and only-free-software drivers ?

Talking about the iX-10xxGx … “all with integrated WiFi”. That sounds like Intel-fail. This isn’t exactly new for Intel CPUs (WiFi MAC layer and BT MAC layer and baseband on CPU) but it’s one more headache for an attempt to have a secure, auditable system - as well as potentially paying for something that you are unable to use in a secure, auditable system.

2 Likes

Oh, I trusted the Coreboot board status page to be up-to-date.
How can I find out what boards are supported by Coreboot?

that’s the million dollar question. For the most part, looking at the src/mainboard part of the tree will show boards that can currently be built, but it doesn’t imply fully working status. The board status page is unfortunately problematic to maintain as it requires users to run a script on their device which isn’t a standalone entity (it requires the coreboot repo essentially) and it’s just a pain so few people use it.