Screen doesn't come on after power-on

same problem, green led 1 second then black screen, I thought it was due to the battery starting to weaken because if I plug in the charger at the time of the green led, the start-up goes without a hitch.
I’ve got the suspension activated
If I do a sudo reboot, the phone doesn’t reboot systematically.

1 Like

@amarok thanks for checking, we’re looking at the same issue then.

2 Likes

I have been checking logfiles after having boot problems and I noticed these log entries showing up:

• power key pressed
  • edt_ft5x06 2-0038: Unable to fetch data, error: -6
  • Failed to get current UI legacy scaling factor (2x)
  • unable to get EDID for xrandr-DSI-1: unable to get EDID for output

Next entry is again “Power key pressed.”
I asume that I used the power key once more due to seeing nothing on the screen.

2 Likes

FYI @guido.gunther , I seem to be getting normal/correct boot on first try lately.

1 Like

I experienced 3 power on’s without problems. This morning the problem is back again.
Log events:
systemd-logind Power key pressed.
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope Failed to claim ambient sensor: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name net.hadess.SensorProxy was not provided by any .service files
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope Failed to get current UI legacy scaling factor
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope Failed to get current UI legacy scaling factor
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope unable to get EDID for xrandr-DSI-1: unable to get EDID for output
17/12/2023 09:54 session-1.scope Failed to claim ambient sensor: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name net.hadess.SensorProxy was not provided by any .service files

2 Likes

The issue has returned for me, too.

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s rarer, but it still happens.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely improved.

1 Like

I have experienced this too

2 Likes

My bad, I can’t confirm this change.
Yesterday I needed to boot several times before the screen showed up.

1 Like

I know why… but i think you have some kind of Hardware issue or some crumb in the shaft between Button and main Phone Frame.

Because since i turn off my phone every day before i go to sleep, to save energy. I know that every morning when i boot up my Librem 5, sometimes i push (short) my Power Button as habit to turn of the screen fast, and then it will just do a fast shutdown.

So i think your issues are from a wrong pushed shutdown button.

So it would be nice to have a screen Question for Shutdown like (Shutdown? Press Vol-Down, please), while booting the phone.

Edit: Just to add some experience that the Screen (not the boot one) is dark and the posh-Locked Screen, need some more time to Render itself. I had to wait 15 seconds, it had some ambient light, but thought it was one of an Update Message or the Lollypop displayed Album-Picture. Would like to have the possibility to disable the picture too in Lollypop.

1 Like

Technically, there is no physical shutdown button, only a power-on button. It’s better to use the software to shut down a computer, rather than do a hard shutdown with the physical button. :slight_smile:

Hi Christal,
Thanks for your suggestion.
However, I use the software button (upper right corner) to switch off my L5 and I do not have bread crumbs on my finger while doing so :smile:
I’m convinced that it’s a bug and I’m sure it will be resolved. I just need to be patient.
Read my messages as a feedback to Purism (this message is linked to Issue 494).

1 Like

January 18 -

1. A new upgrade this morning
    175% display still reverts to 100%.

2. Start up behavior is still the same, push til green let go… no start. No green light holding same amount of time! Press again and count to 10-12 sec (approx) then press again produces green light … hold til light goes off and release then screen keyboard opens.

1 Like

Is there a place to see progress / fixes applied to new kernels etc?

1 Like

Yes… power ON or Shut down, for me are the same. Physical One, no software. So i was talking about the Boot Process. But you and shopping4purism are right about the software one.

@ASwyD2
Buy a USB-C to USB Adapter, attach a Keyboard and try to free some Space on /boot
I think you got lost in an update Process and if you push the shout down Button before the update Script was finished ( or till not enough space on /boot), you have a chance to fix that loop. Otherwise get in touch with support or send back you phone. However i think you could flash your phone or have enough space during that update too.
On Linux you have that option to use a ttty prompt/Console to login with alt + ctrl + 1 (up to 9) to connect to your system, even if the graphical Desktop/Interface do not start properly - to fix things.
I think you have not enough free space on your boot, cause you apply updates and new Kernels on your Boot, without drop not used installations with apt - it tell you to run some command after update to free space, and remove obsolete packages.

2 Likes

Follow the various links in this blog post:

1 Like

Maybe I’m lucky or maybe someting has changed
So far, booting the L5 went OK the last 2 weeks.
I do hope it will stay that way. :pray:

2 Likes

I knew it this would happen. After writing the message in this thread I have these booting issues again.
So nothing has changed.
I guess it’s back to the ‘waiting for a solution’ queue. :pensive:

1 Like

Yes, it seems to happen randomly for me now. The problem disappeared for a while, though.

2 Likes