Screen protector for the Librem 5

With some of the openings it may be a “designers choice” to have them very tight or possibly more open than measured to make it easier to place the screen protector - users may not be capable of 0.1mm accuracy :straight_ruler: :mag: :mechanical_arm:. Width and length are bit different. Of course it differs if it’s a flat film or something more specific shaped.

1 Like

You are aware that a company already makes screens?

https://viascreens.com/screen-protectors/purism/librem-5-evergreen/

For those that skipped reading your post:

On top and only on top of the inner measurement someone can fully attach any screen protector. My post was in addition to your post referring to this screen protector edge (and if offered somewhere else please let me know):
3D_Fit

1 Like

I asked support if a clear (non-privacy) screen protector could be supplied with my Librem 5 as I could not find it in the store to order as accessoire.

Would you be able to supply a clear screen protector (would prefer glass but plastic film would be oke too) with my Librem 5?

Support replied:

The phone already comes with a screen protector from the factory.

While it is obviously true that it comes with a screen protector for transport, I meant a more permanent screen protector :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve peeled off the white tape that is fitted on the transport screen protector but that leaves sticky residue and the protector is lifted at the corner. :disappointed:

Are there actually two screen protectors installed?
If yes, should I remove the top one, or both?
May I ask why a screen protector is not available in the store?

Not from Purism. But there are some companies that are starting to sell them.

Amazon: Librem 5 Screen protectors

3 Likes

I’m using the Celicious Vivid Librem 5 Evergreen. It’s a bit tricky to install (watch the videos), but it lasted almost a year…

2 Likes

Purchased an iPhone 11 privacy tempered glass screen protector to replace my non-privacy broken tempered glass. Its like it refracts the light in rgb in diagonal lines when looked at directly. Definitely interesting. I would definitely stay away from Onn privacy tempered glass. It reminds me of barber shop poles that are red white and blue except as a lite brite

Quite possible you didn’t put it on exactly straight. LCD screens are polarized, and so are privacy screen protectors. If the “poles” aren’t parallel you get this effect.

1 Like

I switched now from the Vivid Screen protector to one originally for the Google Plus 6.

The issue with the Celicious Vivid protector is its “rabbit ears” around the loudspeaker and the selfie camera. When pulling the phone out of my trouser pocket it happens that the edge of the screen protector is coming of the display…

You might want to check these out as well: viascreens

I have had one of these (the impact version) on for a couple of weeks now, and it is still clinging on nicely.

1 Like

Btw: how well does the pixel6 protector fit the L5’s screen? Does it leave bits of the screen uncovered?

It’s okay. You need to cut some 1 to 2mm of the width and like 5mm from the top including the hole for Pixels camera.

We should find a phone which has a rectangular display (no in-display selfie camera, no “rabbit ears”, round edges etc.) with a display width greater then 65mm and smaller then 69mm.

Nice am going to give the Celicious matt screen protector a spin (didn’t even know there were alternatives hah), the L5 privacy screen protector is great, but since the display isn’t that bright to begin with, with the privacy screen, the screen protector being reflective, and without enough smudge resistance, it is hard to use outside.

Maybe this will help narrow down the options:
https://www.gsmscore.com/model-finder/dimensions/

That is not quite correct. My L5 unboxed without a screen protector. I was particularly annoyed that it didn’t ship with one, especially the transport ones.
~s

My L5 came with two protectors: one for transport and one to leave on, I presume, at least for first use untill you can order a better one. Which is what I did. In the forum people mention these protectors are not that well applied. Mine was: it only had one speck of dust caught underneath. I still replaced it because I wanted something that offered better protection.
I bought a Viascreens impact screen. It is pretty easy to apply and going by how it looks, it will do a decent job at protecting the screen.

The one that came on mine (Nov 2020) was well applied. Still using it.

:+1:
I considered that, but I was, and still am, very protective when it comes to the L5. And there was that one annoying speck.

1 Like

Yes. My quasi-OCD would never go for that, either!