Serious Issues in Desktop Mode

Thanks, I have downgraded the kernel to 6.5.0-1-librem5 now. Let’s see if this will eliminate the issue.

2 Likes

If I do this command, will everything be as usual afterwards, or will I have to make a lot of adjustments to get the L5 working?

1 Like

Everything will work as normal, but sadly that kernel does not mitigate the issue discussed in this thread.

3 Likes

At the risk of jinxing myself, I have managed to use desktop mode normally more often than not. I have no idea what could be triggering the times when it doesn’t work.

1 Like

This is really discouraging, but have started to get these issues sometimes when plugging the phone into only a charger.

@Sarcasmo220 I am starting to suspect that the issue has something to do with the USB port not waking properly from suspend. Are you using automatic suspend or do you suspend your phone at all? I am going to turn it off for a while and see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

I do use suspend, but not automatically. I don’t think I’ve ever plugged my phone into the dock when it was still suspended, but it occurs so randomly anything is possible at this point.

2 Likes

I wonder if somebody can help me with some commands to debug this issue. I am thinking that I could have two terminal windows running, showing the dmesg and journalctl logs in real time (or capturing to log files in real time), but I haven’t been able to find the log command switches that would do that for me.

I am not sure the dmesg log will keep running when connections as well as sudo stop working, but it is worth a try.

1 Like

:point_down:

I still not using my Gnu Librem 5 because Crimson, however i already catching some d.r.m bug on dock mode.

Purism Community
Libre Software.

1 Like

I recently ran into similar issues (apps not opening, settings app took very long to start) when connected to a lapdock (UPerfect mini). The last few times I switched the display to 100% on the L5, opened an app (Firefox) and then connected to the dock and it worked. With that work-around convergence was usable at least the last couple of times I tried.

2 Likes

You don’t need to capture journalctl or dmesg as both store their output to disk already.

But if you want you could use screen or tmux to run multiple shells in a terminal and reconnect to them at disconnect.

for ssh disconnects you could use https://mosh.org/ which is ssh over udp. Mosh survives wifi disconnects and device - both client and server -suspends.

4 Likes

Oh, of course, didn’t think about that. I have been using the tail -f or tail -20 commands or with grep, but the problem is that after this issue occurs, I can’t use sudo in the terminal - nothing happens. Hence, I can only look at the journalctl log when the problem occurs. For dmesg, I need to reboot and then look at the log. Not sure though, if it retains the information from before the reboot.

Also, I am not quite sure what to look for in the log files that could be related to the issue. As I am able to reproduce the error almost every time I connect the L5 to my laptop dock (Uperfect or Nexdock), I should have plenty opportunity to dig through the log files.

1 Like

To view the logs of the last 15 minutes regardless of reboots: journalctl -S '15 minutes ago'

You could paste the output here for others to look at.

5 Likes

Perfect, will do!

3 Likes

Hi there,
any news about possible solutions to this problem? I have just sudo update/upgrade my L5 after some time without using it, but when I plug it to my NexDock 360 I experience the same problems raised in this thread: applications not starting, terminal not responding…
It´s a shame! It worked perfectly earlier, pretty frustrating to experience this problem and not finding a solution.

2 Likes

I haven’t found any solution to it, and I haven’t seen it occur as frequently as it did when I first posted. So, both the cause and the solution are still a mystery.

1 Like

Very interesting to hear; I still have the issue every time I try to use the phone in dock mode with the Purism NexDock 360 lapdock kit (which is almost every time I use the L5). To minimize the effect of the problem I know I have to launch applications such as Brave or Firefox before I connect the phone to the USB cable and then the phone behaves almost normally. But If I try to use it as a computer and launch Brave or Firefox using the mouse and screen of the NextDock 360 the phone misbehaves as described above (does not manage to launch Brave, terminal does not execute the commands…) every time I try.
I think convergency is one of the strongest selling points of the L5 (or it was at least for me when I decided to buy) so I hope Purism could allocate some resources to solve this issue soon.

1 Like

After I wrote my last post I thought maybe the problem was only happening when I try to start browsers in Desktop mode, so I tried not to start any of the two and see if that threw different results. So I have started the phone disconnected from the USB and once normally started, I have plugged it to the USB and started using the phone through the screen and mouse of the Nexdock 360, launched only the app Usage and after that one the Terminal and that´s it: any command I write in Terminal does not execute. After the Terminal shows the phone is not working properly, when I try to restart the phone by choosing the option from the top drop down menu (since I can´t do it from Terminal), the phone does not manage to complete the restart.
So for sure there is still something there and is not directly related with the use of the browsers as I was wondering after I wrote my previous post.
I have tried to do the same process again except starting Usage and Terminal BEFORE I connect the phone to the USB cable and the phone seems to behave normally (terminal works and when I type sudo reboot the phone completely re starts). So seems to be related with starting programs when the phone is in Desktop mode?

3 Likes

I have encountered these problems regardless of starting programs/apps or not, it sometimes works but mostly not. I have even experienced this at some rare occasions when plugging in the charger. Someone on the forum suggested this is a kernel issue and not related to PureOS or Mobian itself. Once I started having these problems, I downgraded the kernel once in PureOS, but it didn’t make a difference, so I don’t know which kernel (if that in fact is the problem) that was the last one working.

2 Likes