Signal / Silence on GNU+Linux : A comprehensive summary | Librem 5 app

Silence is in F-Droid, while Signal is not. With Silence, one also does not need to rely on an external server.

1 Like

There is now a website for the cross-plattform signal client Axolotl (a fork of textsecure-qml):

https://axolotl.chat/

If you want to help to make it run on Phosh and Debian based distro lik PureOS, the issue is here:

6 Likes

Interesting. Any plans for a security audit?

1 Like

Yeah for sure. I’d chip in $20 for a Signal on Librem. It’s basically the only thing stopping me from buying this thing.
My music experience is also going to go to hell but whatever… I mostly listen to podcasts anymore anyway

Anyway, thanks a ton to OP for this summary!

You can vote and fund for the development of a Signal native app here:
https://puri.sm/fund-your-app/

2 Likes

Signal is conducting an anonymous user research survey. Let them know you want Signal to run on Librem 5.

5 Likes

Done, I also had some other feedback too.

1 Like

After 3,665 / 10,000 votes on Fund your app, Signal is back at the 3rd place!

4 Likes

Hello there,

please check out the Mobian Wiki for the latest Axolotl news regarding the Pinephone:

https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=axolotl
(Alternative Setup)

A lot is working…

3 Likes

For people (like me) who do not want to click on the link to just find out what Axolotl is. :upside_down_face:

Axolotl is a complete Signal client, it allows you to create a Signal account and have discussions with your contacts. Unlike the desktop Signal client, Axolotl is completely autonomous and doesn’t require you to have created an account with the official Signal application.

I’ve always been of the mind that “if I can’t be bothered to educate myself, why should you be bothered to educate me?”

2 Likes

Someone needs to take a chill pill.

You could have said, scroll up a few posts from 7 months ago when Axolotl was last mentioned.

Maybe someone does. It had just occurred to me that it takes less time to click the link and let the page load than it does to read your little blurb. I found that ironic, and in that context wrote what I wrote. I didn’t mean anything by it other than helpful general advice, though yes, I could have been more clear. I sometimes have trouble remembering that context is not universal.

Yeah, the reason I wrote the blurb is that I was cautious of clicking on a link from a new user. Never know what script it could load. Especially when the app is not the same as the title. I just wanted to indicate the link was legit. I could have indicated my context as well. I usually do as this forum attracts a lot of different people, not this time :sweat_smile:

Well I’ll tell you what - I won’t hate you if you won’t hate me.

3 Likes

So, here is my problem…
In anticipation of my L5, I want to try Signal. Lacking a smartphone that can run it (still on a Windows Phone), I have installed a couple of desktop clients on both Ubuntu (Signal proper, aswell as Axolotl), and my Windows Surface (Signal itself).
Then I used signal-cli to register my phone number on Signal, and to setup the Windows desktop client as a Signal device.

It all seems to work alright: the daemon communicates between my Ubuntu installation and the Windows client.
But there is one problem, I haven’t solved yet.
I am trying to enter my contacts info in the signal-cli config file (lacking a phone app, I can’t synchronize my phone contacts directly), and synchronizing them via the daemon.
But although communication seems to work nicely (messages do get across), the entered contacts don’t sync.

How could this be?

This is probably not the best place to get an answer for that…

1 Like

You might be right there.
I think I found part of the answer on signal.org:
signal desktop only imports signal users.

So, I guess I need to enter a signal user in signal-cli to test this.

1 Like

It makes sense as Signal limit the amount of data transiting by its server.
I think there will be more discussion on this forum about how to run Signal clients on Linux after the shipment on Evergreen. But you can already start a new topic about your experiments.