SIMple/AweSIM down

Well damn. I hope they pro-rate y’all’s bills.

4 Likes

This is what we’ve been doing, emailing customers en masse when we’ve had updates, so far three formal emails so far, one when we were led to believe the outage was resolved, one not long after when it turned out the outage was not only not resolved, but affected everyone, and one today. The last two were published in here already and from the beginning we’ve been busy responding to customers via normal support channels and scrambling to restore service.

I agree with something like this it’s very important to keep customers informed and that’s what we’ve been trying to do each time we have something new to share. Plenty of our customers don’t visit the forums so it’s not the ideal place to share news with them directly, there is a much better chance they will see it when we email them directly, so when we’ve had something to report we have used email for it, and will continue to as we progress through this mess.

7 Likes

I hope the new provider enables AweSIM to use the T-Mobile network… AT&T is THE WORST! If Mint Mobile is problematic when I get my L5, I will seriously consider AweSIM.

3 Likes

No promises at this point, but this is something we are exploring.

5 Likes

I don’t want to get too off topic but why do you say AT&T is the worst?
It’s my current carrier (US) and what I hope to use with my L5 so I’m hoping you can elaborate.

My signal strength with AT&T is pretty good in most places that I go so I can’t really complain there.

They have a whitelist of acceptable devices because they pick and choose which manufacturers they share their VoLTE profiles with.
And if anything the worst (for customer choice in phones) would be Verizon, but they’ve been so bad for so long that sometimes the small amount of people who care about that might momentarily forget they still exist.

5 Likes

As @especiallydirect says, There is the whitelist. Also, in my experience with their land-lines, DSL ISP and mobile service, their customer service (even 2nd and 3rd tier, if you can get to it) is impossible to deal with, their account management and website are more tangled than the amyloid plaques in the brain of one afflicted with Alzheimer’s. Their field technicians are knowledgeable and helpful, but it is too little to carry the day.

2 Likes

Hope the service is restored soon, as a customer it would be nice:

1. not only to know whats being done but also when the fix is implemented,
  2. it takes 1-3 days to buy a different sim that works in the meantime like H2O so everyone would be better off - win win
  3. also why not show outages of any part of the purism infrastructure in realtime online, pretty sure admins have access to that data, i think transparancy is about as important as trust.
2 Likes

I bought a mint mobile sim and with some fiddling with the ARN settings, I got it to work. It’s 1/3 the price of the AWEsim and actually works.

I hope Purism plans on refunding us for the service.

1 Like

In my experience with trying to get Purism to refund money, you’re better off issuing a complaint with your credit card for the charge.

That is great that you got Mint working! What did you do to get volte to make calls? That is the only part I am still struggling with.

I was very glad to receive the second outage update via email from Purism. It’s not surprising that they have chosen a new upstream provider. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Never used T-Mobile before, It will be interesting to give them a try. Nice to see they are giving the option of AT&T to those that want it. I wonder if they are going to have to ship new sim cards?

Or new phone numbers.

The last email said they saved our numbers by porting them.

Ah OK, that’s good. I guess my next question is if the service price is going to change.

1 Like

Gonna need new sim cards, I have reading comprehension issues, it was on the last email they sent.

-Moving to this new provider will require that we issue you a new SIM
card and we will let you know when they have been shipped. We do not yet
have an ETA on when we will be able to restore service but hopefully
will be able to provide an ETA with our next update. -

Is that Mint Mobile SIM on AT&T or T-Mobile network?

I use mint mobile, its T-Mobile network.

How about @jr3214?