SIMple/AweSIM down

I just managed to download that deb file and put in on there but I have not seen a difference yet but let’s just say I am not known for giving up…

ok so I finally noticed the updated version of dino from their site does let me click to answer calls when they are coming in (but there is no ring sound)… and then after a 10- 20 second delay you can hear both sides of conversation… So in addition to no ring sound… I cant yet figure how to initiate calls … yet it’s the only thing above using google voice in a web browser I have so far LOL

1 Like

Any updates anybody heard of? i have not received any follow on communications other than that SIM network providers are being vetted?

2 Likes

since I technically only ordered the sim I think I am less in the loop than others who had the service before it was disrupted :slightly_frowning_face: I may buy a t-mobile sim to use until the service is reestablished since it has taken a lot longer than initially thought

1 Like

I saw this from Kyle in Matrix on Sunday when someone asked about AweSIM -

our upstream network provider for AweSIM went out of business with no forewarning a number of weeks ago and we’ve been scrambling to restore service (we just started restoring last week, will do more this week) but our new network provider is on TMO

2 Likes

I know there are substantial personal components to a decision like this, but your decision doesn’t speak highly for the possibility of us little people overcoming corporate and state surveillance, apart from getting rid of our mobile cellular devices entirely. Very sad.

so maybe we will get something soon …I was about to go buy a tmobile sim since I am basicly unreachable unless on ethernet/wifi and in front of a web browser

For calling from Dino, there should be a call icon in each conversation you have open. To call someone you haven’t messaged/called before, you need to open a conversation with them first, and ensure you’re subscribed to their presence (via the contact details).

Current mobile cellular devices are inherently problematic for location privacy - there is no way to avoid that (it’s baked into how cellular networks work). This is why we need a new long-range communication technology, which we’ll have to build ourselves. I started doing this with WOM (see https://wom.community/ for details) but have not had much time to work on it recently. If others would like to work on WOM, I highly encourage it.

1 Like

Look into something like Meshtastic using LORA technology. You can create your own meshnetworks with it.

Actually that would be cool to have a LORA module for the Librem 5. Couldn’t do voice but you could text.

Official update sent out from Purism today:

8 Likes

For all y’all who kept paying your bill, I hope they credit you for it.

5 Likes

X2. I’m interesting in seeing how this plays out. Looks like only current subscribers are getting email updates (I’m out of the loop now)

They did give me a refund within a day or two after I asked (this was prior to the above announcement).

2 Likes

Has anybody have their service restored? I have submitted my ARA but so far nothing.

1 Like

I wrote to support today after turning on my Librem 5 USA phone (it has been a while) and NOT getting a cell connection. I’ve been paying $99/month for AweSIM.

I went through prior e-mails and found one from September asking me to fill out a PDF to give Purism Internal Transfer Authority. So I completed that today and sent it in.

I am so frustrated that the company identified me as being affected and that they continued to charge me for a subscription to NOTHING!

WHAT A MESS! I hope it can be worked out rapidly because I DO NOT HAVE PATIENCE THAT I GIVE OUT FREELY!

3 Likes

To Purism support’s credit. They contacted me this afternoon and offered to refund me or credit payments forward towards coverage with a new (required) SIM card to restore service.

That was pretty darn quick response. I guess in the fray with so many affected customers, they didn’t or couldn’t stop charging people and must have presumed those of us being charged who can’t access the network would contact them to cancel or pursue options. It just took me a bit longer because this is not a device that I use very often or very much. I just want it connected so that it will work whenever I do find time to use it or hack around on it.

Best regards to all.

3 Likes

Keep us posted on how the service performs… I’ve been waiting to turn mine back on until I see people claiming it’s good to go now.

1 Like

asking again, slightly differently this time, if any Awesim customer ever has had their service restored since it was shut off in 2022 August? also if you havent had your service restored but are a current awesim customer send a peep

1 Like