Single Board Librem Computer

You could make SBC’s, that have like 5 ethernet ports and are WIFI + Celluar internet + eSIM capable. Also you could make SBC’s that could be stacked by using RAM slot dock, and there would be giant motherboard, that could fit like 100’s of this SBC’s that would be cooled by fans, and very dense. Overclocked ARM’S could do great computations, and underclocked they could be very energy efficient.

RAM having 288 connectors, which divided by 4 means, we could fit 64SBC’s in rack, and connect them by 10Gbit ethernet over copper, also with central processor, … Maybe not ARM’s but some custom RISC-V, I could help in design. With stackable SBC’s like that, there could be really high bandidth database bould, which could very benefit humanity. Those 64boards would be connected to each other.

Different motherboard for those RAM slot computers, would offer them not connected to each other, but for map reducing and backpropagation task, so they could perform really good. if One chip could have 64gigs of DDR5, it would be fast as fuck, to have 64 of them connected to each other, having like 512GB SSD storage each, communicating by network protocol. For swarm evolutionary algorythms that computes different alternative in parallel, it would be tip top.

Please, make it possible.

3 Likes

You could make ultimate hardware router.

5x 10Gbit/ethernet.
Newest Wifi.
Antena support down to edge connection.
Dual sim.
eSim support.

With NVMe Slot, for network bound storage.

Possibility to connect to VPN by router and routing everything from home network towards cloud VPN.

Intelligent AI firewall software included.

Two USB ports, for storage or whatever.

Passively cooled with heapipe and huge heatsink.

Overclockable.

FreeBSD based OS, for least latency of firewall and network applications.

Os could be even able to recognize wi-fi USB stick, and provide another network trough it or connect trough it or USB celluar modem and be able to set it up in the OS trough web.

Supporting SSH

Included DNS server in the router, which caches and uses CryptoDNS with post-quantum ready encryption.

1 Like

Another thing, is that librem could provide cloud VPN, for many clients, that will work for internal networking of companies or persons. So they’ll be connected like on lan, so you can access your home NPC on the road.

And they could also make USB stick, that you insert sim in or load eSIM, and it’ll connect trough this DNS.

1 Like

You could also sell router “accessories” a chips, that works on radio, so they’re long range, and can be used as communication module in adruino, so we could connect adruino over huge distance to router.

Also router could have NFC and be wireless charger for the phone.

Phone can be running app, to cooperate with router’s NFC and do things like back.up there, which is where I suggest differential back-up.

1 Like

I am bookmarking this. I wanted to build an sbc oriented project like this but based around a backplane, either vertically or horizontally stacked. This would allow for a new way of thinking about what is a bios, what is a boot loader and how the entire system is loaded up. No motherborard, only a backplane setup to power up slot 0 which starts the initialization process with the board in that slot that powers on everything else in whatever order it wants.

On top of everything you posted, it would allow for users to setup / develop dedicated niche operating systems as well. I want something along the lines of the old Lisp Machines.

This could also be a very small form factor, allow for custom cases with proper front to back fan / air flow control because we would not be stuck with the traditional pc case standards.

It would be a great community driven project as well. The problem with this sort of thing is that hardware is unbelievably difficult and way way way more expensive any anyone wants to admit to up front.

2 Likes

I was once thinking that computers could be stacked vertically, having something like those processor’s little legs covering whole surface, so it’ll be really hyperconnected, having low latencies as big unit trough so many connections.

1 Like

I don’t think Purism is currently interested in doing the R&D for an SBC, though it’s been a while since someone from Purism commented on this. It makes more sense for them to continue investing their funds into the Librem 5 and their other products first as they still have issues and really could use their attention.

https://forums.puri.sm/t/purism-raspberry-pi-replacement/12173/2

1 Like

PC/104 is an industrial standard that does this, typically only used just for very low spec industrial use boards only.

1 Like

OP may have framed it in this way, but really, this does not require Librem in any way. Homebrew 4 and 8 bit computers mocked up on a bread board are a thing and one could start at a fraction of the features that OP listed and have some fun.

1 Like

Or you could buy a former government supercomputer, get it cooking again, and sell supercomputer compute time. That’s right, Cheyenne is for sale at a US Government auction. Here’s your chance to own a decommissioned US government supercomputer | Ars Technica

The system featured 4,032 dual-socket nodes, each with two 18-core, 2.3-GHz Intel Xeon E5-2697v4 processors, for a total of 145,152 CPU cores. It also included 313 terabytes of memory and 40 petabytes of storage.

@tracy You might need to build a second garage … with a new power feed. Apparently, even though it was one of the most efficient supercomputers, it still consumed 1.7MW of power when fully utilized.

The bidding ends May 5th and, according to the article: Bidding started at $2,500, but it’s price is currently $27,643 with the reserve not yet met. That’s cheap even for the RAM. By the way, that’s part of the problem. It has so much RAM (300+ TB) and was two years past it’s planned use:

The auction page says that Cheyenne recently experienced maintenance limitations due to faulty quick disconnects in its cooling system. As a result, approximately 1 percent of the compute nodes have failed, primarily due to ECC errors in the DIMMs. Given the expense and downtime associated with repairs, the decision was made to auction off the components.

2 Likes

Just put a few more panels on the garage roof. No worries, mate.

2 Likes

One of the reasons I chose the HP957 is one of the earliest minis to run off simple (US) 110V unconditioned power. When I upgrade, I’ll pick an A-Class because then I can get a patch so the clock can go beyond 2027.

3 Likes