Size comparison to other phones

Something is wrong with your second calculation. If the diagonal measurement is 5.7", then I don’t think there is any way it can be 6" tall.

1 Like

I think you mix two things. A 2:1 (squar-pixeled) screen with 5.7" diagonal is about 2.5 x 5 inch.
Makes it very reasonable that the phone is 6 inch tall.

1 Like

Oh, so you’re saying that the 5.7” only applies to where the actual display is, it’s not the measurement across the diagonal of the front of the phone? I figured there must be something I was missing. Thanks. :slight_smile:

What percentage of useful surface will the screen occupy? I hope that at least 70%.

You could take the pictures of the design report open it in graphic program like gimp and mesure the pixel area of the phone and the display to get the ratio. Would be interesting. Thought in my size comparison the red lines are marking outer boundery and display boundary. With that it seams to be have more screen percentage than the fairphone.

1 Like

Based on the picture in the Design Report 7 the screen covers ~80% of the phone.

Phone size: 583px x 275px = 160325 px²
Screen size: 500px x 250px =125000px²

125000 / 160325 = 0.779666303

2 Likes

That would be very good news!

I found explanation, hopefully useful one, called Big Display, Small Size:

“A smartphone with an 18:9 aspect ratio gives you a taller screen with slimmer bezels on the sides as well as top and bottom. This means that you can get phones with large 6-inch screens while overall dimensions remain similar to a phone with a 16:9 aspect 5.5-inch screen. In other words, a new phone with 5.7-inch screen is about as big as a standard 5.2-inch device. Similarly, a new phone with 5.5-inch 18:9 screen is the same overall size as a 5-inch sized phone. Those with smaller hands can carry big screens easily with devices that have an 18:9 screen.”

For example the screen on the LG G6 is 5.7 inches (active display area should be something like 64,8(W)×129,6(H) mm) in 2:1 aspect ratio or as they call it 18:9 relating to so called Univisium format display (brainchild of cinematographer Vittorio Storaro). LG G6 size is 6.5 inches from corner to corner.

Some (pre) comparison graphics are here.

Other 18:9 aspect ratio smartphones (for Android) are:

• Huawei Mate 10 Lite, 5.9 inches with IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen,
  • Google Pixel 2 XL and LG V30, 6.0 inches with P-OLED capacitive touchscreen,
  • OnePlus 5T, 6.01 inches with Optic AMOLED capacitive touchscreen,
  • Oppo F5, 6.0 inches with LTPS IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen,
  • Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact, 5.0 inches, IPS LCD: supports 10-bit colors and is certified for the Rec. 2020 standard,
  • Sony Xperia XZ2, 5.7 inches, IPS LCD: supports 10-bit colors and is certified for the Rec. 2020 standard.
1 Like

A GNU-Linux box in our pocket will be AMAZING! My current compromise is an iPhone 6s Plus, it would be a great shame if the Librem5 screen is smaller than this.

18/9 is aprox 2

16/9 is aprox 1,77

21/9 is aprox 2,33 ( this is ideal if you don’t want to have any black bars on cropped 16/9 content - especially good for mkv bd remuxes not youtube content )

What is your point here? Yeah 21/9 is pretty close to what is used by most cinema films. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format

But what good is this? Should phones be designed to fit cinema content well?

I see the advantage of longer displays as phones are used mostly in portrait and it allows for better handling as width is the more limiting factor for one handed use. An second to fit in a pocket to have it easily carried around. If these to are compromised one could use a tablet or pc. Putting video content as an argument for the screen size when we are already in a good spot between 16:9 and 21:9 seams a bit carried away form the real purpose of this device. A smartphone.

But thinking about phones, like ordinary land line phones, 60/9 seams a reasonable formfactor :smile:

Should add one of these and a nokia 3310 to the comparison:

just that 2 is closer to 2,33 than 1,77 hehe. so that means that the librem5 will play cinema films better for whoever plays cinema films on the smartPHONE. :wink:

on the other hand a business/work oriented smartphone display that is closer to that of an ISO A4 (29,7/21 in cm) paper aspect ratio (aprox - 1,41) would be more usefull to me personally …

1 Like

You might want to check that math…

3 Likes

(i.e. the square root of two)

What are you doing on the phone itself that needs this aspect ratio?

For business / work, it could be that what matters is how good the support for an external display is.

Ultimately what could matter is whether the GUI model supports dynamically adapting to the dimensions of the display or failing that whether the GUI apps have been customised to work well with the specific dimensions of the internal display.

1 Like

@jon.armani, I wanted to point that out some days ago but realized that he probably meant to say “2 is closer to 2.33 than 1.77 is to 2.33”, which is mathematically correct. But the discussion is still pointless :wink:

1 Like

The phone is due to SHIP tomorrow. You would think that the information on phone size could have been released by Purism by now! When will they make this public? Is there some security issue at this somewhat late hour?
Communication from the company is frustratingly poor.

3 Likes

Whoever gets their phone first can measure it and post the information here for you?

1 Like

“Communication from the company is frustratingly poor.”
I would unfortunately have to tend to agree. No information on batch sizes, no information on who will be in what batch (even tenatively), no confirmation on shipping status, etc etc etc.
I understand they are probably very busy but it only takes a few minutes to write a post or email to update the thousands of people who have invested into a product that they would love to see come to the light of day. I’m on the fence if I will get another Purism device but I can definitely say when PinePhone and PineTab releases i will be one of their first customers

2 Likes

Hopefully the dimensions will release soon. I contacted WaterField Design about cases. They informed me it is a major undertaking to resize a case, but they can see if any of their existing cases will fit the Librem 5, given the dimensions.

3 Likes

Will you cancel your purchase if it 1 or 2 millilitres taller than expected?
What’s the point?
Regular delivery of mass-produced smartphone will not start before April 2020.
Before this date they are only preorders from not finalized spec, to support the development.

3 Likes