State of MMS on Librem 5

Chatty should not duplicate the failed to send MMS image in those instances but it does. I have a 7 day old chatty conversation where i tried to send an image a week ago with VPN turned off. Image send failed, but the image is repeated in the conversation thread almost randomely. Rebooting the phone and opening the chatty app and message will generate three images of the failed image that was not sent towards the end of the conversation, but also inbetween messages. Failed message and image sending could be managed better - these seem to be stuck in the modem manager cache and not cleared. Also just having the message conversation open i can watch it add additional image of the failed send image indefinitely, as if it is trying to re-send it. Selecting the image and opening it with Loupe interestingly will always open two Loupe image viewing windows instead of one.

full length
test3

Am i the only person with this issue?

I use the following code to generate the GIF btw:

``ffmpeg -i Cropped2.mp4 -r 15 -vf scale=512:-1
-ss 00:00:03 -to 00:00:06 -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm - |
convert -deconstruct -delay 5 -loop 0 - test.gif`

I have been trying to figure out why shotcut does not convert the .avi, or .mp4 to gif using gif codec or ppm codec.

In another thread, I believe I have stumbled across a key issue affecting both SMS and MMS:

“As for the other issues with sending and receiving SMS and MMS, I believe I have isolated it (for me at least) down to SMS / MMS over 4G, as opposed to 3G. If I force 3G only connection, messages send and receive fine, with the occasional exception. I think they are limited to 160 characters though, which is tremendously annoying.

Note this report: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/OS-issues/-/issues/323

(I have not yet confirmed my L5 has VoLTE enabled, as I have not taken steps to enable it. However, I have noted that the header icon stays reading “4G” during phone calls though, which work fine - so at this point I am assuming my L5 had VoLTE enabled out of the box.)”

My provider has two APNs: one for internet, and one for MMS. Last time I tried the Librem 5, I was not able to send/receive MMS unless I manually switched from the internet APN to the MMS APN. Then of course I would lose access to the internet until I switched back and manually switching is a no-go for having the Librem 5 as a daily driver.

Does anyone know if this is working now? Or if there is something I’m missing, as I think T-Mobile in the US does this too.

When you say manually switch from the internet APN to the MMS APN, where exactly are you making this switch? Is it in the OS Settings app?

I have T-Mobile and I am able to send and receive MMS without having to switch anything.

2 Likes

Are these the APN settings your using? I also have T-Mobile, MMS use to function for me, but now I can’t receive or send.

2 Likes

For the MMS, try to put your provider settings in the Chat app >> Preferences >> SMS and MMS Preferences
For Internet, you put the other ones it in the Settings app >> Mobile >> Access Point Names

4 Likes

Those are the same settings. As @fralb5 mentioned, it may be about having the configuration in the right place. In the main OS settings I have the APN, and in the chatty settings I have the MMSC Server info.

Every now and then the modem may become clogged with messages that were not successfully delivered. You can run this command to check if that is the case for you:

mmcli -m any --messaging-list-sms

3 Likes

I discovered my issue. APN is cap sensitive. I had Fast.T-Mobile instead of fast.mobile. I don’t know why that never caused an issue before, but correcting it caused all the pictures to send.

2 Likes