Status of Suspend for Librem 5

I called my suspended L5 from another mobile sitting in 5cm distance to the L5. I let it ring 10 times, it just not woke up.

1 Like

I have experienced this as well. Still hit and miss so I do not currently use it.

If your phone does wake up correctly on power button press but it does not wake up from suspend at all on incoming call despite of the signal being heard on the calling side, it means you have to contact support to get the modemā€™s firmware updated.

Keep in mind that Iā€™m not talking about anything else other than merely waking up on incoming calls/messages. It should wake up from sleep, but actually noticing and reacting to calls in timely manner is not exactly supposed to work reliably yet (although we should get there pretty soon now).

8 Likes

That one I can answer. No, gnome-clocks does not support waking up the phone from suspend yet. It is a permission issue where part of the solution was only just implemented in a still unreleased version of systemd.

3 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll stick to my old phone for that functionality, then.

For those curious about the progress, Iā€™m seeing under a debugging / testing kernel I was able to get through the community Librem 5 matrix channel (6.2.0.1) I have suspend working 95% of the time. My metrics for this measurement are that the phone comes back from suspend, and I can log in. (There was a bug that was creating a double log in screen which prevented you from ever getting past it previously. This was masterfully fixed in a recent phosh update.) My cellular connection is active and data connectivity happens usually within a few seconds. This happens about 80% of the time. When it doesnā€™t work, usually within the space of up to a minute, the modem will reset and then connectivity is restored. In some rare occassions the modem does not come back. Either suspending and resuming or restarting the phone will bring it back. This is very rare.

This is a debugging kernel not intended for byzantine. But I wanted to talk about it, because this is all very promising. As @dos has pointed out earlier, there is still a lot of work to be done, but they are making great progress.

This kernel has taken my Librem 5 from hardly being used to nearly being my main and daily.

10 Likes

Getting close

3 Likes

Wellā€¦ the alarm does work for me. Maybe this is because the L5 is on the charger overnight?

You might have configured it to not suspend when on power (which is the default, I think). Unless PureOs has sprinkled magic fairy dust around, upstream gnome-clicks is not yet waking up suspended devices yet. Which is a pityā€¦

Just soā€¦ I see ā€œsuspend when plugged inā€ is toggled off. This work fine fir me ā€“ rarely a need for an alarm when not plugged in.

1 Like

I sort of hesitate to leave my L5 on the charger over night. For one thing the manual says you should not leave the phone unattended while charging. Presumably because of over-heating problems. Is this still current advice?

I think this is ā€œjustā€ a general advise with any chargeable device.
I never leave my house with anything in a charger.
However my daily phone(not the L5 yet :frowning:) is in the charger over night next to me.

This is great news. I canā€™t wait to get suspend to work. Every year in summer I switch to an old nokia because L5 suffers easily from overheating in the hot temperatures here. If this gets released soon I will hopefully not have to switch to nokia this summer.

I think youā€™re missing the word ā€œnotā€ there, right?

and so I did indeed. and corrected it.

its also great to see how fast the modem comes up and establishes connection in the video, that would be a leap for the L5 once it works properly

Yes, so fast that Iā€™m even more looking forward to test that. Seems crazy.

For the phone to wake from an incoming call the modem must already have a connection, otherwise the phone would have no reason to wake. So in this video before the phone even wakes the modem is connected. Just fyi.

1 Like

True but in the general case the device (here the modem) might nevertheless be in some kind of low power state from which it must wake.

This sounds like what is actually going on here. I really want to see a blog post by the devs about this. It literally is the difference between a daily driver and a test device.

3 Likes