Step by step tutorials needed!

I agree with you it being a joke!
What I didn’t understand was that I had to click on the city I wanted to get the appropriate file downloaded.
I tried that on my iPhone and it worked. On the Librem 5 not so much, I have not inserted a sim in the meantime.
Can that be the reason?
Thank you :pray:

The bottom line is that in order to download a .opvn file (or anything else) you need a working internet connection. That can be via the mobile aka cellular network (in which case, yes, you will need to have inserted a valid SIM) or via the WiFi (in which case, no SIM is required but obviously you need a working WiFi network in your house and your home network needs to have a working internet connection).

As I said though, you can download that file on any computer and then move it across. If you don’t have a working network connection at all on your Librem 5 then you can move a file across via a USB drive (such is the beauty of running standard Linux software on a phone with a standard USB port). Or alternatively you could network the Librem 5 via USB to a host computer but that is a bit more difficult.

The WiFi works and I succeeded to download the file I wanted.
What is left to do is find the way to copy the long string of numbers and text, username and password.
“ “ I need to add those in the beginning and end of the text?
Long press on either is not working. Your thoughts?
Thank you.

Not very pleasantly …

Double-tap the word that you want to select. It will be highlighted.

Touch the keyboard icon at bottom right and then touch the globe icon on the keyboard to choose the keyboard and then touch “terminal” to choose the terminal keyboard.

Then touch “>_” on the keyboard, then touch “Menu” on the keyboard. That should bring up a context menu.

Touch “Copy” on the context menu.

Job done.

Double-tap the word that you want to select. It will be highlighted. Long tap on the highlighted word opens a pop-up menu where you can select “copy”.
Copied both the username and password, but cannot find the “add” button to finalize the the hard work.
Ideas?
Thank you so much for your help.

Aside: You’ll need to do them one at a time.

When you move to the other application where you want to paste the copied text, again the “Menu” button will give you a context menu and you choose “Paste” on the context menu.

So … copy username, switch application, paste username, switch application, copy password, switch application, paste password.

“Menu” button will give you a context menu and you choose “Paste” on the context menu.
I tried that, but pressing the menu button didn’t produce a context menu!

I succeeded to install the VPN service!
One little issue with the downsizing of the screen.
A 100% is to small I think for most people certainly for older people like me. The best resolution is 125%, shows most of the “Add” Button, enough to press and get the vpn installed.
Thank you :pray: for helping out Irvine, appreciate it!!
Take care.

2 Likes

It is both. Quite some pple cannot find their way how to use the L5 or linux in general. And in the absence of clear instructions, they give up and sell their phone.
@dave69 points out an issue that is almost standard within the linux community. The community either forgets or doesnt care about the large group of possible users, which prefer out of the box solutions, instead of dealing with terminals and commands

Eventhough Linux etc can offer so much, it is everything accept customer oriented. So I would suggest that #Purism focuses to limits alle the gadgets and apps and firstly makes sure a limited number of apps actually work as they should.

Pple dont bail out because of the limit number of apps, but because it’s dysfunctional

In-depth guide:
https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_5.html

Quote (emphasis mine):
The Quick Start Guide that is included with the phone can also be downloaded: Librem5-Quick-Start-1.3.1.pdf.

The Quick Start booklet also points to the above website.

The most recent Quick Start Guide is version 1.3.4 as you can see on changelog:

Unfortunately there is not a PDF ready to download for the latest version, although you could make a PDF from source (not for everybody…).

That’s not true, it’s available under the link you posted. The CI pipeline automatically builds a PDF file and it can be downloaded as an artifact.