Still no hope for EU reseller?

I would like linux, and all the related computer world, to be known but, as I read in the company’s reply email, Apple and Google spend a lot of money on advertising. And this is true. People (I mean those who are not infomatics or who do not have this passion) do not know what linux and open source are and they do not know the idea and the exploitation that, instead, large commercial companies make of it. Buy the most advertised mobile phone or one similar to that of your friends and which is of the best known brands.
Personally I believe that a continuous media campaign should be organized in order to raise awareness of linux, and its uses and advantages, in the only way we users could collaborate: by sharing information media. I believe that more or less we all have telegram or twitter or facebook etc. If (for example) the FSF launched a worldwide information campaign, trying to involve as many users as possible, it would be enough to re-share a video published by FSF on our twitter, facebook, telegram accounts. A small average, changed weekly, for a whole year published on our accounts.
Regards

2 Likes

It’s a huge market. 0.01 percent of it is not attractive enough?

1 Like

Ahum…Are we continuing talks about Linux phone markets and pricing? I’d like that, but as per @maximilian comment I don’t want to further derail the thread if it bothers others.

I added this question to the Community FAQ:
Will the Librem 5 be offered through an EU seller?

(That way everyone will know the history of this question.)

3 Likes

Just noticed a EU (Danish) reseller Linuxnordic: https://linuxnordic.com/shop/8-mobiler/17-librem-5/
Price at current rates is north of 2100$USD. Other Purism stuff and other linux brands available too.
Edit the title and FAQ?

2 Likes

Unclear if its the L5 USA or not. Do they have them in stock? If so, this would explain the shipping delays…

The photo of the side reveals “Librem 5” as opposed to “Librem 5 USA.” (Assuming the photos correspond to the actual item they’re selling.)

Considering the price, I’d imagine it’s due to taxes and profit from importing it to EU, not because it’s the USA variant. For the same reason, I’d ques they do not have much stock. The page does say they do have it in stock ATM.

This is good news. Especially if they can sell batteries.

Let me just note that the competition is far ahead:

Interestingly, batteries not included - nor any other small parts and accessories (except hub).

Really unclear what they are sellling, since the photo shows the Librem 5, but the description at Linuxnordic says:

Librem 5 is Made in USA with headquarter facility in California. And it holds the most secure setup you will find in a non-military mobile phone.

Given the amount of inaccuracies on the website, I don’t know whether we should trust it to provide accurate info. It says that the Librem 5 has “2GB RAM”, when it should be 3GB of RAM. It also says:

Purism leads in its secure software supply chain with auditable firmware, software, and reproducible builds .

The firmware in the Librem 5 is proprietary and not auditable. The website also says:

Alternative OSes supported
Any other GNU/Linux based operating systems just work including but not limited to: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, SUSE, and RedHat Enterprise. This is because Purism and PureOS utilize the most strict security and mainline policy offering hardware that will last for many years with full software support .

As far as I know, only postmarketOS and Mobian have ports for the Librem 5, and they don’t “just work”. They are taking text from the original Librem 5 crowdfunding announcement from August 2017 and assuming that Purism has already achieved mainline Linux support for the Librem 5 and can run on any distro.

The site is mixing info about the Librem 14 with the Librem 5 which makes no sense:

Hardware security
You cannot get more secure than a physical hardware kill switch to turn-off your camera, microphone, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, even the modem, with Purism’s signature hardware kill switches . The Librem 14 also includes a TPM chip (“Trusted Platform Module”) which can be combined with the Librem Key for the best security setup available.

Clearly, this seller doesn’t know much about the product they are selling and its over-the-top security claims for the Librem 5 are also questionable. It is worth seeing whether they can sell replacement batteries for the Librem 5. Otherwise, I would advise steering clear of them.

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s fairly obvious that this is no authorized reseller of Purism products.

PINE64 is not the competition, proprietary software and hardware is the competition.

5 Likes

Also to clear this up a bit, Nordic is not an official reseller of Purism.

6 Likes

Right. Let me rephrase:
Alternatives are far ahead on this issue :grinning:

I think that at least some solution for batteries must be found.