Successfully reflashed, but at first no LED at entering Serial Download mode

Or when I power down or restart, which I guess also disconnects the battery…? (Momentarily.)

2 Likes

Up to you. There is no better time to experiment with other distributions too.

2 Likes

I seem to be getting substantial improvement in battery time now, in comparison with the previous install.

Well, maybe not “substantial,” but a noticeable improvement. Still not phenomenal, of course.

2 Likes

Two new issues I’m experiencing since the latest reflash:

1_ At power-on, before LUKS password input screen, the “Librem 5” splash appears as normal, but then doesn’t advance. I usually wait a minute or so, and if it doesn’t continue to the LUKS password screen, then I do a hard reboot with the power button. (Whether the device is doing some kind of periodic, routine systems checks during the stuck splash screen, I don’t know. And, actually, I do seem to get this issue after I’ve rebooted due to a misbehaving app.)

2_ Sometimes wifi is absent after boot-up. (Nothing to do with the killswitch.) I don’t know if it would eventually enable itself, but I just reboot in order to get it back.

Fortunately, I no longer have that previous issue I had, with the screen occasionally not coming on at power-on. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Possibly it is verifying a file system that was improperly unmounted, specifically the /boot file system since by definition it can’t verify the root file system until after you have entered the LUKS password.

To be honest, I wouldn’t expect the fsck to take long on such a small file system unless it actually finds problems and then doesn’t handle that situation well. (I don’t think I’ve ever had a fsck issue on my Librem 5, so I don’t know what the interface looks like at that point.)

If you really wanted to deep dive on that with some troubleshooting, you could instead of booting up the phone, boot Jumpdrive on the phone and then fsck each file system on the host computer (three file systems if you also have a µSD card).

For most misbehaving apps, kill (or equivalent) is far more friendly than a reboot of the phone. On the other hand, if it’s phosh misbehaving then a reboot may be needed.

2 Likes

IIRC, everything was frozen and I couldn’t dismiss the app on the screen or launch the terminal. I’ll try to pay attention next time it happens. Thanks.

1 Like

ssh in?

1 Like

I don’t remember if I had wifi enabled; I’ll try it next time if I can. But maybe I could have done it over a cable?

1 Like

Well my USB ethernet dongle works well on my Librem 5 … but WiFi or ethernet, you need it set up and known to be working before you experience problems, so that you can verify whether you have lost access via ssh - and if you haven’t lost access then that opens up additional troubleshooting options.

2 Likes

Today I got the stuck(?) “Librem 5” splash on a shutdown, and it was because I didn’t wait for an app to completely shut down. I was not able to ssh in over wifi.

I allowed the splash some time to sort itself out, but after several minutes of nothing happening I powered it down manually.

3 Likes

Read the links on this post:
Pulseaudio not starting on reboot

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m not sure that’s what I’m experiencing, though.

1 Like

It is
Whenever it happens for me it says that an ‘unknown app’ is causing it to not shut down

1 Like

OK, I also get that “Unknown app” message. After I continue with the power down anyway, then I see the splash screen that doesn’t want to proceed. So then, if I understand it, a hang, as described in that post, is causing the misbehaving app?

1 Like

Yes. And I don’t know how to fix it.

1 Like

If I cancel power-down and wait, is the app likely to “let go,” or is it possible to kill it in Usage or Terminal? (Maybe that would only result in the same hang…)

1 Like

check out this thread

2 Likes

OK. My comments were, I thought, directed at a problem relating to startup.

Any kind of network access can be troublesome if there is a hang during shutdown - because by then the network may have successfully shut down even if something else did not.

I occasionally see some kind of wedged-during-shutdown on desktop/laptop. Sometimes, you can switch from GUI to console and see an error message. Sometimes not. I’m not sure that that approach is going to work on the Librem 5 anyway.

My assumption is that the typical scenario is that: a process in userland can’t terminate because something is wedged in the kernel e.g. holding, or not holding, some resource. So the kernel opts to maintain integrity at the cost of forcing you to hard-power-off the computer and then wear the consequences of a dirty umount of any file systems (usually just a fsck).

Unless you can reliably reproduce a wedged-during-shutdown after reflashing to crimson, you are probably just waiting for this to be fixed.

3 Likes

Understood. I guess I’m seeing the hang at both startup and shutdown now, although possibly not for the same malfunction.

3 Likes

Since I reflashed a couple of weeks ago, I haven’t fooled around with location much, but I did notice that neither GNOME Maps or Pure Maps was picking up my location. That’s not surprising since the phone has been indoors that whole time.

Today, though, I opened up Pure Maps, allowed it to access location, and placed the L5 near an upstairs window with a good view of the open sky (eastward). I left it there for 15 to 20 minutes or so, and when I returned to check, the app was indicating pretty much the precise location, even down to the correct wall of my house.

That’s an improvement over my original byzantium install, which was able to get a “fix”, but always placed me about 35 meters away from my (indoor) location.

I’ll test it outdoors (at a walking pace) sometime soon.

4 Likes