Tangent from hang on shutdown

Why?

1. Why the Liberty Phone? It’s $2,000. Are you suggesting that the “Made in the USA” is worth that and will fix the problems even though the component parts are basically the same and from the same source? Or are you suggesting that the extra RAM and storage will fix the issue?

2. Why anti-interdiction services? Are you suggesting that the issues are because her phone has been tampered with?

2 Likes
  1. Domestic OEM supply chain.
  2. Possibly.

The suggestion is rooted by this statement:

Feel free to counter suggest a better solution that does not compromise intimate undergarments.

It seems unlikely to me that the issues she is having with the Librem 5 have to do with some spy-modification. In regard to the Librem 5, my assumption would be that spy-modifications would affect all phones in a batch or none unless she is somehow a specific target.

Also, and I may be wrong, I don’t think “Assembled in the USA”, regardless of supply chain, has anything more than a negligible effect on HW integrity (in regard to spyware). This is mainly because the SoM would be the main target and I believe that a modification would be fairly obvious.

Due to various interactions I’ve observed (and been a part of), I don’t really care to help her. Everyone’s definition of “spy phone” is different and I don’t feel like my suggestions of a Pixel w/GrapheneOS or a Sony Xperia 10 (or 10 plus) with SailfishOS would be well received.

[
Edit: Or she could build one herself :slight_smile:

Here’s a PiPhone from 2014 https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/piphone-home-made-raspberry-pi-smartphone/

And … here’s a newer one called the O.U.R.S GitHub - evanman83/OURS-project: Step-by-step instructions to build a smartphone that is open-source, upgradeable, repairable, and Big Tech free.

]

1 Like

None of us can make a credible assessment of the likelihood of that.

Interdiction wouldn’t be the first explanation that I would reach for in the absence of any case-specific information.

1 Like

I suppose the other somewhat solid suggestion I have would be the PinePhone Pro, but based on my understanding, it is not daily-driver ready for the general public. However, it is much cheaper than Purism products, even when on sale.