The Need For Clear Communications From Purism

As in a successful dial and connect? That counts, doesn’t it? Or are you concerned with the microphone and speaker? I was under the impression that the concern lay with successful connection, or have I missed something?

1 Like

He could say “Hi”, and the other end could say “Bye”.

1 Like

He could have, yes, but that’s like test driving a car and then not being satisfied with the MPG rating because you didn’t get to run the fuel tank dry.

There could always be more information, yes, I agree with you. It would, in fact, be welcome. But there are no issues on the tracker relating to not being able to call and you said yourself that a successful connection was made. So 1) somebody (likely multiple, but that is unconfirmed) has a phone and 2) they did demonstrate a phone call. I think perhaps this is just impatience rearing its ugly head

3 Likes

A typical story at the end of a shipping window at the companies I’ve worked:

Don’t park your car near the dock, they might ship it.

5 Likes

We probably do have enough topics on this all saying the same thing …

3 Likes

I gotta be honest, I’ve spent more on drinks showing up to this guy s shows. I mean, yeah, I’m not all business-y and all that but I take nothing from anyone, I work full time, I pay my bills and after all my obligations are met : I wanna have fun! Be it the joy of helping others (and yeah, I see buying this phone as an act of altruism) or getting drunk and yelling “Wooooo!”, it’s my hard earned money and if I want to fit the stereotype of Jane six pack, that’s my business.

2 Likes

No no, It’s just got to be “Ahoy hoy” !
Pretty pretty please whomever is reading and has that opportunity first :smiley:

Voice demonstrations of the Librem 5 capabilities have been either weak or non-existent. It’s more like a car dealer starting a car, putting it in gear, then putting it back in park, and then saying ‘believe me, it does drive’. All we know is that the phone does ring when someone calls. Whatever the reason, communicating is always better than not communicating. How much time and effort can it take to post one or two sentences here to update us on status? All we know is that there appears to be a delay and that they choose not to tell us why. Maybe there is a good reason and maybe not. We’ll see what is happening a few weeks from now or else have reason for real concern then, if not.

5 Likes

How many dealerships do you think could get away with selling a (much less multiple) car(s) like that that didn’t drive? Y’all are missing the point that there are people out there who have the phones, we just haven’t seen them yet. Again, impatience is rearing its ugly head. You’re worrying about things no one (here) knows anything about, like one might worry about when the next meteor will strike. All will be well. The absolute worst case scenario is that you get your money back and you’re no worse off than you are right this very second.

7 Likes

For those who think things are too quiet, follow the Librem 5 software activity here -

There are a lot of updates happening every day with the software, and you can see what the developers are up to :slight_smile:

If you look at things from week-to-week (as opposed to day-to-day or hour-to-hour), a lot is going on. I’m pretty sure Purism is still revving up the mass production of phones. Maybe they produced 10 phones the first week, 20 this week, 30 next week etc. Or maybe just 50 in the 1st month.

Could be an age thing, but I’m pretty patient. If I check back in a month, I think we’ll see several “I got mine” posts here, as well as videos . And maybe a few on Ebay (with a huge mark-up) for those that want their phone “right now”.

Half a year (really not that long) I think we will be well into the free phone revolution :slight_smile: And hopefully the other Linux phone (Pine Phone) will start ramping up as well. I hope both phones do great!

If the worst naysayers were right (which I doubt), Purism is still producing a lot of free software for the phone (see link above!), which can be used by other, future Linux phones. In totality, what Purism is doing is very hard, and totally awesome.

If not seeing a ton of information day-to-day is stressing you out, I’d recommend checking out a little while (a couple weeks) and come back. If nothing more than the software advances happened in that time, we would still be making progress in rescuing smartphones from the current phone duopoly.

11 Likes

I think it might be more of an elitist/fronting thing. I ordered on the 25th of August 2017 (yeah praying I’m Aspen) but I’m also middled aged so I wasn’t raised in a gamified culture to see everything that doesn’t go exactly my way as a slight/ego hit (and I’ve noted that’s not just limited to youths). I’m not an elitist and I don’t see the world in terms of people being better than or less than based on xyz. I accept that I’ll get my Librem 5 when I get it and it’s not an insult if I don’t get it when I want. I also don’t need to be pandered to.

I woke up to this from u/jaylittle this afternoon.

I’d appreciate a thank you for the fact that my original investment (August 29th, 2017) helped make this project a reality. I don’t know if you are an original backer like I am or not and frankly I don’t care. Feel free to start showing a little respect though.

Yeah, that guys still going even after I made it pretty clear I was not responding to him anymore last night.

When it was first announced, I noted there were quite a few people on reddit who took it upon themselves to try and brand it as the phone for only the most technologically elite…

I’m so very glad purism didn’t change their marketing strategy to appeal to that base :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Pro tip: If you don’t want to summon Betelgeuse you should probably abstain from saying his name.

It’s a free forum, I’ve go no problem with you here. But uh…are ya gonna do something? Do you have anything to type? I’m still going to ignore you…but you’re free to type.

Sure. If you insist I’ll toss out some free style pontification.

It’s not about being pandered to. It’s not about elitism. Nobody, regardless of their technical ability, deserves to be treated the way modern smartphone platforms treat them. I believe that privacy is a fundamental human right. I believe that our data should be treated as a valuable commodity not only by those who steal, sell and buy it but also by those who are seemingly giving it away.

My conflict with Purism is simply about the fact that their public statements can’t be reconciled against the available information. My questions were asked in an honest effort to bridge that divide. My theorization on what the actual situation is are merely my coping mechanism when faced with the incongruity.

That’s it. I wasn’t the first one to ask these questions. Judging by the existence of this thread, I will not be the last one either. At the end of the day I’m just glad the conversation is still living and breathing even though one side steadfastly refuses to participate.

4 Likes

tbh i don’t understand this beating of jaylittle. The person expresses his fears (which is exposure of the emotional self) and eventually is vulnerable to attacking this emotional exposure. Or rather I think I do understand (attacking people just share the same fears however trying to suppress it) nevertheless i was having higher hopes in this community. Which is exactly the reason i support the motion for better communication from purism. I don’t need it myself, but it’s poisoning community.

7 Likes

I mean I’ve said before I really dont care when I get mine as long as I get it and it works.

However I too can see the frustration of Purism announcing they are shipping yet sounds like super early supporters haven’t gotten any modem selection which is apparently turning into conspiracy theories of whether Purism has actually began shipping or is saying they did but didnt because devices arent working .

That being said Purism said to the best of my knowledge and recollection you’ll get your modem selection email before they are ready to ship YOUR device. So it just sounds like purism is going order by order? And if thats the case it just looks like the shipping process is just …pretty slow . So maybe that explains why early backers still havent received their modem selection emails .

I dunno . Purism as a company does seem to be fairly introverted though xD

5 Likes

I think this right here is the crux of much of the communication challenge. Or more precisely Purism seems to be made up mostly of privacy minded introverted individuals.

To be clear I don’t mean to point this out in any negative way, merely an observation which makes sense when you consider the goals for what they are creating.

The primary challenge of being a very private person creating a privacy minded thing in a transparent way, in my opinion, would be overcoming that private nature that led to wanting to create the thing in the first place.

Hopefully the more constructive criticisms can be utilized in a positive way and don’t get ignored with the less constructive criticisms.

5 Likes

We don’t need analogy’s, we have a definition. Unfortunately there is definitely no evidence that the shipping L5 can make calls. Why do you think Purism avoids a demonstration?

That’s well said. thank you. I backed this phone in Oct 2017 and I’m on the fence if I should ask for a refund or not.

…I don’t need the $700 USD and I’m happy to get a shit phone that does next to nothing and is slow af.

the other side, I’m super pissed they’re not being very open. “software updates” are not an update, I know about gitlab. You guys have been saying “wait a couple weeks” since Q3 started in July.

I’m going to get a pinephone, if I ask for a refund here, I’m going to donate that money to postmarketOS and actually help someone who’s open and honest.

4 Likes

comp.os.minix ›
What would you like to see most in minix?

Linus Benedict Torvalds 	

25/08/91

Hello everybody out there using minix -

I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I’d like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

I’ve currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I’ll get something practical within a few months, and
I’d like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won’t promise I’ll implement them :slight_smile:

Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. Yes - it’s free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that’s all I have :-(.

thankfully he was there :sunglasses:

5 Likes