The Need For Clear Communications From Purism

I’ve been working manufacturing since the mid-1980s. Mostly small electronics stuff, connectors, drives, software, sensors, (pressure and fluid).

But I don’t work the floor, I work legacy IT, which drives the biz, so I get to visit all aspects of the process, from selling, to buying, A/P, A/R, receiving, inspection, Q/C, make parts from raw materials, buy parts to assembly, then finished goods, and shipping.

3 Likes

And if they are private and not public, they don’t have to trade at all! (Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.)

1 Like

Way cool! :smiley: I fall down rabbit holes watching videos like Franlab on youtube for hours sometimes!

I underestimate myself, but at age 63, realize you have seen a lot. Started work in my Dad’s machine shop with a tin roof and no A/C at age 15 putting chamfers on nuts.

3 Likes

I mostly fail, but still enjoy the meditative relaxation doing little projects brings :slight_smile: You should make videos! There are youtube alternatives, this is one was done just to make someone on another forum feel appreciated. HA HA! It really did have the mouth feel of pop left out overnight…90% fail but fun to research and do anyhow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry but I am looking forward to a sedentary retirement. Anything involving computers would seem too much like work. Into board wargaming now.

Only here for the curiosity of the phone. Like I said a month or so ago, I’m not so much into privacy as being the old coot who wants to keep kids (big corporations) off my lawn.

2 Likes

O.k. that sounds cool too, enjoy :slight_smile:

Don’t underestimate yourself :smile: People with wide backgrounds are really valuable on forums like this.

3 Likes

Ah, but don’t count on me to expound on the latest tech. Maybe the older stuff.

1 Like

The Golden Week national holiday in China has been over for a couple of days now. I hope that the silence about the Librem 5 will be broken soon. I’d be happy with anything: a new news item from Purism, or something here or on social.librem.one that indicates that something is happening, somewhere…

The silence about Librem 5?
The last communication was yesterday, with a video…

1 Like

@Torrone, Can you share the video link?

2 Likes

OK - I wasn’t specific enough, I meant some sign that phones were shipping, production/certification is moving forward, or that backers were being contacted about modems. A 30-second video demoing the kill switches is not much of a sign that anything is happening. There has been nothing from Purism on social.librem.one for 5 days, and I think that Twitter is the same. The Librem 5 chat room is active, but no-one is discussing the Librem 5.

Some sort of slowdown is to be expected during Chinese New Year or Golden Week, but I was looking for some sign that now the holidays are over, activity is picking up again.

I agree. I’m holding out hope that by the 22nd they’ll have real progress. If not, I’m getting a refund and moving on.

It’s only an example. They are communication like that every 2 or 3 days (Youtube, twitter/Mastodon, website, forum…).
Do you want a press conf every time a member of Purism Team turn on is PC?
Now that we have seen the firts L5 running in 2 or 3 video, I prefer they put all their efforts in shipping than in useless extra communication.

2 Likes

I think these last few posts do highlight one of the challenges with communication, too many communication methods are being used. Mastadon, IRC, Git, YouTube, librem.one, website, forum, email, and I’m sure there are several others I’ve not listed… Sure the website posts theoretically recap what has been being communicated on these other platforms at a high level and sometimes includes links.

I think it would help all parties involved if there was a rework of the communication strategy to clarify where, what topics are discussed and maybe even remove some of the duplication of effort.

1 Like

@BryanLunduke is getting his personal Librem 5 tomorrow, and is taking requests on what he should install. Over on Librem Social.

If there is something you want to see, let him know :slight_smile:

9 Likes