Three mouse buttons + track stick

I’m not sure what input device you mean then. I find mice to be a pain in the rear for first-person games, due to having to repeatedly lift them and move then to the other side when looking further to a given side than space allows, which is most of the time for me. I actually find mice in general to be a pain for gaming. There’s also joysticks, which work great for 2D platformers, but not so well for first-person gaming, due to their lack of speed gradient. Track sticks seem to be the perfect control for first-person gaming.

But again, this isn’t all about gaming. Simply getting my work done is obnoxious on GNOME and isn’t possible without hardware mouse buttons on desktops that don’t emulate the stupidly-missing buttons. Simply bringing up the right-click menu on LXDE isn’t possible when there’s no right mouse button.

Using the touchpad on this Librem has been a pain for gaming, due to GNOME’s spotty interpretation of which mouse button I’m currently trying to emulate. I’ll use three fingers and get a one- or two-finger click, for example. But as for positioning, the touchpad has worked just fine for me.

What input device do you think first-person PC game developers have in mind when developing their games?

This could be solved by setting your mouse acceleration higher, couldn’t it?

I agree that GNOME is severely limiting as a desktop, which is why I’ve switched to KDE and never looked back. I know you said earlier that you’d tried KDE and didn’t like it, but honestly I think anything is better than GNOME.

1 Like

The fact that developers have mice in mind doesn’t make them necessarily the best option. Furthermore, that even implies that there *is* a best option, and that it’s not completely subjective. I prefer track sticks for cursor movement too, with touchpads again coming in as a close second. In general, track sticks and touchpads work better for me.

You could set the acceleration higher, at the cost of precision. I think it’s a moot point though, given that this is on a laptop, and mice are a pain in the butt when you’re not on a desktop machine, sitting at a desk.

KDE Plasma is a lot better than GNOME. It’s pretty hard for anything *not* to be better than GNOME. I’m honestly not sure how GNOME keeps its popularity.