Time to flash is now - but how?

None of Coreboot / Pureboot / Librem Key is relevant to the Librem 5.

You almost certainly have an Evergreen phone but I can’t verify that.

To reflash the Librem 5 you need any half-decent / half-recent Linux desktop / laptop. (It is even alleged that you can reflash one phone from another, if you happened to have two phones.)

Then you carefully follow the instructions in post 16 above.

One easy way to tell is to measure it.

The Librem 5 (Evergreen) including its battery weighs (9.1 ounces) or (9.2 ounces), depending on the scale.

The dimensions of Librem 5 (Evergreen) are [153 x 75 x 15.5 mm] (6.0 x 3.0 x 0.61 inches).

The development versions were about 3mm shorter in length.

EDIT: Also - I think - the lshw command (“list hardware”) should return: product: Purism Librem 5r4

Someone correct me if I’m wrong about the “r4” (revision 4?).

(If “command not found,” then sudo apt install lshw and rerun the command.)

But in the Frequently Asked Questions that I linked above, @amosbatto says the revision number is not always accurate:

However, this is not a very reliable method since a new operating system could have been installed.

Section 6.3 of the FAQ describes other methods for identifying Evergreen.

1 Like

Duh. Sorry about that. It was in the L5 arena

Had to do the “sudo apt get lshw
It didn’t give any errors. Waited 10 minutes, cancelled and Rebooted, tried again with same result. No compute. Short of it is, I tired rebooting, refreshing modem, WiFi, cabled it, it just hangs. Only way out was pull the battery because nothing else would respond.

Just a FYI:
With battery removed, which is every day now, in the battery seat, is the following:

Back of battery has:

• BPP-L503

In battery cradle:

• L5v1-05

Back of battery:

• Model Librem 5
    1lCP10/57/53
    Rated voltage: 3.8V
    Rated Capacity 4500mAh 17.1Wh
    Limited Charge Voltage 4.35V
    Zhongshan Tianmao Battery Co. Ltd.
    Beside QR code: 2021/04/16

I will press ahead assuming it might be a Evergreen

I read the discussion around it here (response #16 and on) and appreciate @amarok Amarok was putting the edits and changes in a step x step for myself. amaroks response #16 bookmarked. Just continuing backing up texts and attachments.
It’s worse than going alone on a blind date :worried: Well, here goes. Hope it fixes the battery issue too.
~s

1 Like

It should be sudo apt install lshw.
You forgot “install.”
(You could also use the “legacy” command: sudo apt-get install lshw.)

1 Like

I didn’t forget. What I put here was the second thing I tried after “sudo apt install lshw”
FYI -

• ‘sudo apt install lshw’ worked this time. I disconnect the L5 from the dock, that failed so I pulled out the battery and startyed again. Tried the cmd again and it went through a bit with a warning that results might be incomplete and to use "superuser. My searches here, without trying both FAQs only result in ‘blah blah http://susperuser…’

So after a day of still don’t know if it’s Evergreen or not but am moving ahead anyway.
Thanks amorok
~

2 Likes

Based on the FAQ that I linked earlier, if your battery shows 4500 mAh, you have an Evergreen. Earlier dev versions had smaller batteries.

If you took over someone’s L5 order directly from Purism, then Purism would have shipped you the Evergreen, of course.

Also, that unnecessarily scary warning about the lshw means simply that you’ll get more info by running it as sudo lshw. No biggie.
sudo means superuser do or “run this as superuser, i.e. admin.”

1 Like

Thanks. Been there, read them, moved on.

1 Like

I’ve been following the edits the guru’s have talked about here but unsure if the edits and if there’s a revised version of Post #16 here and think I should wait until the edits are sorted out, or is Post 16 step guide fait au complet?
~s

@sharon, you can follow post #16 as is now. It’s the same procedure @david.hamner followed in his video.

We were speculating that there might be a new, abbreviated procedure coming, but there’s nothing definite on that yet. Meanwhile, the established procedure should work fine.

But FIRST, do launch the Backups app on your Librem 5 and make a backup of the system. Then proceed with reflashing. Shouldn’t take long.

EDIT: In the Backups app, in its Preferences, choose the external microSD card as location to save it (if it’s not already selected).

2 Likes

I reached step 5.

No lights blink.

Nothing happens when I insert USB-c into L5, USB-a is not plugged in to anything - yet.
Is the other end of the USB-c supposed to be plugged into the desktop & at what point?

Nothing happens.
~s

1 Like

Yes; at that point the computer-end should be connected.

1 Like

P.S. When I reflashed, I used a USB-A to USB-C cable that came with my Android phone. You could also just attach an adapter to one end of the cable that came with the L5, in order to provide a USB-A end.

(Unless your computer actually has a USB-C port, in which case, you can use the L5 cable without an adapter, I guess.)

1 Like

Thanks, I must be turning into a Googie. Missed the part that said

I got as far as Release the volume-up and the error below was found:

Wait for Known USB Device Appear…
Error: Unknown Command:FB: reboot

2024-03-13 14:39:15,037 INFO Cleaning up.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “./scripts/librem5-flash-image”, line 538, in
sys.exit(main())
File “./scripts/librem5-flash-image”, line 521, in main
flash_image(uuu_target, args.debug)
File “./scripts/librem5-flash-image”, line 351, in flash_image
subprocess.check_call([‘uuu’, uuu_target])
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py”, line 347, in check_call
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘uuu’, ‘./tmp_librem5-flash-image_p64ro0is/flash_librem5r4.lst’]’ returned non-zero exit status 255.
pure1@pure-pc:~/librem5-flash-image$

:thinking:

1 Like

Did you try again?

Also, note:

1 Like

I would say: bad (old) version of uuu installed on your computer.

So I would mention things like:

• what hardware the host computer is
  • what distro and version it is running

Example goodness: Random x86_64 desktop running latest Ubuntu LTS release (jammy)

and check (post) output from things like:

• which uuu
  • uuu --version

Example badness for first command: no output at all or /usr/local/bin/uuu

Note for the second command, there is no such valid argument as --version but, in complaining about that, it will show you what version it is.

It is also a good idea to check lsusb output to see what the Librem 5 shows up as, if indeed it shows up at all. In particular, you do this before the script runs successfully (e.g. it hasn’t been run at all or e.g. the script ran but failed, as happened here).

Example goodness: ID 1fc9:012b NXP Semiconductors i.MX 8M Dual/8M QuadLite/8M Quad Serial Downloader

The “serial downloader” is the key requirement. If you are not seeing that then you didn’t do the vulcan death grip correctly. :wink:

1 Like

Sooo, to begin with, whom or what does one “mention things” to?

If it helps, it’s running Pure OS, w/ latest updates/grades on a HP z400 with.

How did I know this would be another quagmire! It isn’t even heavy enough to be a paper weight.

1 Like

I meant: mention that info in a reply post in this topic. Along with the other requested info.

1 Like

You may save time reading all this and just cut to the quick and tell me it’s a paperweight. Or, Are you suggesting I need a updated lap/desktop with updated Ubuntu and learn more programing commands (lsusb, uuu-good to fight off uuu-badness in order to update/upgrade the digital device masquerading as a device? Because that’s what I read. Else, read on…
~ ~ ~
Yes, I tried reversing the cable into device.
Yes. I made certain Pore OS was up to date.
Yes. I repeated steps 5 and on, again.
And, I tried another cable, and I rebooted desktop and phone and started from scratch - again.

Then someone dropped the OS update ball. Will there be a announcement somewhere as to when Puri will fix that?

HOST computer is a HP Z-400 Workstation running, perhaps or maybe the most recent up/downgrades of PureOS- or so the Updated “mentioned”.

“jammy:” Google says…“covered with, filled with, or [resembling] jam.”

Why didn’t someone say at the very start that one needs the latest and greatest in lap/desktop in order to flash the phone. Maybe I should just use the fallback,. ‘clear your cache’.

Yeah, um sure. What was I thinking… another day of reading gobbledygook (to me) to find out to the ask “uuu” what it is and it’s birthday. That How-to must be in that one page user manual somewhere. Right? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I must assume you want be to type that stuff in, I did, result is
bash:/usr/local/bin/uuu: No such file or directory.

Do I send a email, fax, snail-mail, smoke-signal or yell it out to complain? Doesn’t help to complain anyway - one is just met with more hurdles.

I missed the email telling me I had to now all that BEFORE starting the flashing “lsusb”

NOW you’re telling me it’s my desktop parts and my install of PureOS and
not the flash stepxstep instructions?

Is it a brick now?

The only reference I could find for what a “serial downloader” is:

• "An in-circuit code download, conducted over the device UART serial port, is commonly referred to as a serial download. The serial download capability allows developers to reprogram the part while it is soldered directly onto the target system, avoiding the need for an external device programmer.*

Just how does one learn all about UART or whatever it is? Is Puri getting rid of a “external device programmer” and what the [insert expletives here] does it have to do with the device - such as it is. But I would love to practice a Vulcan death grip - anyone want to volunteer?

SUMMARY:
Since I didn’t do the Vulcan death grip, nor the “lsusb” and have a great example of “badness” but such posts get deleted, and I don’t have the latest in lap/desktop with latest Ubuntu that I wasted my time on this for about the Xth time.

I can’t do any of that stuff you suggested because, as you pointed out, it would be a waste of time because I didn’t do the lsusb nor the things that should have been done before starting that it’s too late and am owner of a brick.

POSSIBLE CAUSE:
I have a query with ‘support’ on this, but the female USB-c is a tad loose. When trying to hold volume key up, and inserting cable at one point is difficult and while distorting one’s arms could be enough to cause a disconnect. When that happens I normally see the screen react. But didn’t in the many tries of flashing seethe screen flicker or die out.

I’m going to start over. WTH, I have a hard time writing off $1400.00 and few hundred hours of reading and trying.
The instructions should include doing that stuff you said arguing, death grips, uuu bad uuu good, etcetera. BUT, it should also at the start have a warning that devices required to flash the device should be younger than 2 years old.

It doesn’t need a lot more of bling and blather, it needs :boom:
~s

2 Likes

Did you do

sudo apt install uuu

if yes then you will find uuu in

/usr/bin/uuu

2 Likes

No. Ubuntu was just an example.

What you do need in order to reflash the Librem 5 is a desktop/laptop - and that desktop/laptop does need to meet certain criteria, although I suspect yours is OK once we work through the troubleshooting. (FWIW, it took Apple years before you were able to update an iPhone directly via WiFi / mobile, rather than having to rely on a USB-connected desktop/laptop and crappy proprietary Windows software running thereon.)

Please post output from the command: which uuu

If you get no output, please report that here.

If you get output, please post that output and please then post output from the command:
uuu --version

You don’t have to know it is. You just have to see the example text within the output of lsusb once the Librem 5 is connected to the desktop/laptop via USB and having pressed buttons on the Librem 5 etc. as documented.

It should always be possible to unbrick the Librem 5. I think it should be harmless just to reboot the Librem 5 at this point. There are three possible outcomes:

• the reflash did nothing - and it will reboot normally but unchanged
  • the reflash basically worked - it will reboot normally but reset back to factory defaults (so some things may not be the same as before, including e.g. the login PIN and other passwords)
  • the reflash did brick the device - it may not reboot - but, as said, it should always be possible to unbrick i.e. have another go at reflashing, because each reflash is a completely clean reset, independent of whatever events may have occurred before

Please attempt to determine which of these three applies.

1 Like