Today marks the end of the Aspen shipping batch

Just came across over this update on Twitter:

Edit: Just saw someone posted this already on another thread - how can I delete this post?

5 Likes

Leave it. It will be noticed more and it’s comforting to some I guess.

7 Likes

Agreed. Worthy of its own thread, I think.

Aspen isn’t a real batch confirmed; practically no one has actually gotten it.

1 Like

On second thought, maybe people have: Anyone asked to confirm birch modem?

2 Likes

Didn’t the kickstarter have enterprise bulk batches? I wonder if those were being shipped. In which case one email for N phones going out to companies that may or may not even say anything about it.

(warning: youtube links)
Aaaagh!!! I sooo wanted to be in Aspen batch! Soooo badly!!!

Ah well. You can’t always get what you want; but if you try sometimes, well you just might find, you get what you need :slight_smile: Seriously though, in the early pictures the USB-C port was obviously hand milled and …one of a kind, bespoke, hand made, farmers market…yeah, I’m so that customer base! Alas, I could not get my vacation pay released in time :frowning:

That’s ok though, I’ve already gotten what I paid for as far as I’m concerned. I think I put it best over at reddit when I said that it’s not as if I pay my annual membership fees to the FSF for a discount on stickers (CRA doesn’t recognise them so no tax write off at all :() and I’m similarly happy with Purism furthering Free software for all :slight_smile: Really, we’re all buying something far more important than a phone. That’s what I wanted and that’s what I’ve already got :slight_smile:
Thank you :smiley:
Purism has fought it out and they’re still standing!
“After all the shit that you’ve been through, all I got is time for you”

I’m patient, I can wait :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yeah, I checked. I’m confused. Wasn’t this done as an actual Kickstarter campaign??! I could’ve sworn it was actually on kickstarter? But looking through my KS, I don’t see it. I also don’t see the campaign page. My confirmation email of purchase is from purism from Oct. 22nd 2017. Though I don’t know if this is the day I decided to fund the campaign, or if this was the day my card was charged after the project was successfully funded?

What I do remember, is that I was an early backer and in the first few to sign up as an early backer.

So, perhaps Aspen batch was only like 10 phones lol

1 Like

If you were an early backer, you should have two emails.

1. An order receipt email on the day you ordered saying “Your order is on-hold until we confirm payment has been received.”

2. A second order receipt email on the day your card was charged saying “Your order has been received and is now being processed.” (This will be around mid-October 2017.)

So in my case there were about 6 weeks between those two emails.

1 Like

I too distinctly remember the original campaign being an official Kickstarter, but can’t find any evidence.

With high probability it was never a Kickstarter campaign. You just placed an order for the phone on the Purism web site. (However everyone’s “distinctly remember” gets a bit hazy after 2 years, mine included.)

Maybe confused with an earlier Purism product??

Add:

In a break with earlier campaigns Purism is hosting the fundraiser itself on its own website, cutting out the middle man.

4 Likes

Memory is weird… In my mind they had a promotion on their internal page that linked out to an external Kickstarter… but it’s hard to argue with a period article :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

From my memory it has never been on KS, always on own page with exact mention that they do not want to use kickstarter as it’s different level of obligations yadayada… which was the reason I was overcautious (never saw it before) and finally backed it only after initial goal was hit (Oct’17)

3 Likes

I think you are right, I stumbled across this link in another forum: https://twitter.com/vjrubens/status/1186773079629946881

This looks like a screen-grab from a Mastodon feed, but I couldn’t find the toot on social.librem.one, so maybe its on another Mastodon instance somewhere. If anyone knows who to follow to get info like this, it would be great to know.

EDIT: I still don’t understand why they couldn’t have been a bit more open with the rest of us.

5 Likes

It definitely wasn’t on Kickstarter. The original Librem laptops were crowdfunded on Crowd Supply, but the Librem 5 phone was, unconventionally, crowdfunded directly by Purism itself.

6 Likes