Trying to determine if some RAR files contain malware

and if anyone wants to go down the 7zip road, maybe the following helps, as the package names are non-obvious and not automatically suggested(?): https://itsfoss.com/use-7zip-ubuntu-linux/

Did anyone check the PureOS repos for those packages?

2 Likes

p7zip is listed as part of PureOS current repo. Besides, under Debian main there is, in addition, p7zip-full package. And only under Debian non-free someone might prefer to install p7zip-rar one, perhaps by choosing to use buster-backports repo, at your own will.

1 Like

I haven’t tried unrar-free, but the second command, sudo apt install unrar doesn’t work. I attempted it and get the following:

Package unrar is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source

Only with one r, unar, try again please.
sudo apt install unar
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
gnustep-base-common gnustep-base-runtime gnustep-common libgnustep-base1.27 libobjc4
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gnustep-base-common gnustep-base-runtime gnustep-common libgnustep-base1.27 libobjc4 unar
0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 3,800 kB of archives.
After this operation, 15.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y

lsar X.rar
unar X.rar

1 Like

hello and welcome !

i wouldn’t bother with .rar (to compress/decompress) as a format … as was said it’s proprietary but for some very specific cases it might be required depending on the OS your using and who/what your communicating …

for me it’s mostly .zip for general compatibility between OSs but it’s also not a great compressor (takes more space than other compression methods available in the GNU/Linux ecosystem)

if i want better compression but am willing to spend some more time then > .tar.xz

i used .7zip when i used M$ as a daily OS … not anymore :upside_down_face:

PS : Merry Christmas !

2 Likes

Oops! Ha, I thought it was a typo. I decided not to install it, I already deleted the .rar files and hopefully won’t try to open suspicious files in a non-vm environment.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for that. It’s been so long since I’ve run more than a minimal Debian install that I don’t remember lots of those sorts of details.

1 Like

All right, is it getting serious :new_moon_with_face:? Let us take File:L2700_TV4.5.0_DVB4.3.0.rar from ftp://public3may:public@ftp.maygap.com/loewe/software/l2700/, for old LEOWE Xelos TV from next-door neighbor and pretend we like to update SW on it and know we need l2751.tli (.tli file). Besides, Archive Manager, after I purged unar package it shows, when choosing to extract this .rar archive (included inside archived Folder): “An error occurred while extracting files.”

Now after installing back unar someone should be able to list archive (here as linked) with lsar:
man unar
ls -la
L2700_TV4.5.0_DVB4.3.0.rar
lsar L2700_TV4.5.0_DVB4.3.0.rar
L2700_TV4.5.0_DVB4.3.0.rar: RAR
L2700_TV4.5.0_DVB4.3.0/dvb_V4.3.tli
L2700_TV4.5.0_DVB4.3.0/l2751.tli
L2700_TV4.5.0_DVB4.3.0/

or use Archive Manager (this time without an error) to extract linked .rar File over GUI.

Let me take another L2700.rar File (looks fine too):
lsar L2700.rar
L2700.rar: RAR
DVBi3_Application_V8.3.0_20090429.zip
L2700_V8.3.0_20090429.zip

P.S. Merry Christmas!

2 Likes