Unboxing the Purism Librem 5 Evergreen

I agree. In my experimentation I have come across several apps that seem to function and scale just fine, so hopefully these can be incorporated over time into the curated list in the store.

I should probably also point out that a number of things will be different when we make the transition from amber PureOS to byzantium PureOS. Newer libraries and packages means weā€™ll have a larger suite of software that should work. Often software that you might see work on mobian or other distributions, that isnā€™t in the PureOS Store, can be explained by the older libraries that happen to be in amber. Right now thereā€™s a fair amount of backporting that goes on to get software into amber-phone.

2 Likes

Random thought: If the store window is bigger (convergence mode / external screen), could it show all? :thinking:
Donā€™t know if thatā€™s a good approach.

However, while the curated list is certainly sensible, the disadvantage is that it gives the impression that ā€œthis is all thatā€™s availableā€, which again is something where you need to ā€œbe in the knowā€ to make full use of it.
I donā€™t know whatā€™s the best solution to that.
But I think the best documentation is the one that is not needed, because everything is obvious. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The User Guide application can be seen here, starting at 1:10 minutes in:

Searching the rest of the repo is also demonstrated in the video. Correction: That part is not demonstrated.

Umā€¦ so, by ā€œuser guideā€ you mean ā€œsetup assistantā€?
I thought Kyle was either referring to the Documentation, the quick start guide which is linked there at the bottom, or some adaptation of Gnome Help?

Thatā€™s what I understood him to refer to; I could be mistaken, though.

The package is named librem5-user-docs and it should create a desktop entry at /usr/share/applications/librem5-user-guide.desktop.

2 Likes

Interestingā€¦ I donā€™t have that.

1 Like

Hmm. Thatā€™s too bad. Well I guess I have something to investigate :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Good point.

A good feature could be a filter which you can switch depending on what you search.

Having no filter, maybe pictograms could help. Showing to each app if itā€™s made for desktop, tablet and/or mobile screen size. Like itā€™s done in Steam where you can see Windows, Mac or Linux icons.

I think that the PureOS Store does show a different view when in convergence mode. At least itā€™s something thatā€™s been discussed.

3 Likes

A search for ā€œlibremā€ in the app store found no hits, but ā€œsudo apt install librem5-user-docsā€ places ā€œLibrem 5 User Guideā€ in the App Drawer. It installs locally the content available at https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_5.html .

2 Likes

that is because the package does not yet have the proper appstream metadata to show up in the pureOS store

2 Likes

@linmob recently made another video: ā€œLibrem 5 with PureOS Byzantium: Work in Progress + ā€¦ā€: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEsu9GFGzns

5 Likes