Updating Librem-EC on your Librem 14

Seems there is a new version.

Purism_Librem14-EC v1.12 (2023-02-20-64b01ec9)
2023-02-20

• Set PL4 again when CPU resumes from a sleep state to address sudden shutoffs
1 Like

Just updated EC to version 12… hoping to address some of the strange charging behavior I’ve been dealing with. I’m still trying to figure out how to consistently reproduce this, but is anyone else out there have their Librem abruptly power off when you disconnect the barrel jack to the power supply? It seems like it happens to me when the battery power is high (above 90%).

1 Like

My Librem14 does not abruptly power off at any time, however i will test like disconnecting the barrel jack power supply above 90% just to checking…

1 Like

This has been happening to me as well. It usually happens after the laptop has entered and is exiting sleep mode, where it shouldn’t have lost much power at all.

I flashed this back in March 2024 but it’s still acting funky. The charge_max_design sysfs attribute is like 8 million units, while charge_full is dipping as low as 2 mil. As charge_now goes up, sometimes the charge_full does, too.

I learned this with a simple watch script:

watch -n 5 cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_now /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_full

At present, it sometimes stops charging at weird intervals; 40-something%, 60-something%, and expected behavior in the 90s (I put the threshold between 90% and 100%) But when I unplug it, both charge_now and charge_full go down, when it’s really only one of them that should be going down, unless I somehow have a rapidly deteriorating battery… That doesn’t make sense because I’ve only used the official barrel charger…

I’m going to try another EC flash today to see if maybe it just got into a loop of confused state. dmesg notes numerous unhandled ACPI 80 and 81 codes coming from battery, but all I could find on those events were on- and off-battery, and normal. Sorry to bump a dead thread but this seems to be an on-going problem.

I’m on Gentoo running kernel 6.6.21, but this happened on 5.10.212 as well. I have tried calibrating the battery by letting it die and leaving it on the charger overnight, to no success.

EDIT: Last night, capacity started going back up to around the 6700000 mark. I put it to sleep overnight, but when I woke it up, it turned off as if it were losing power, and did so again when I tried to boot it without plugging it in. When I plugged it in and booted, it showed 60% battery and has been charging rather normally since.

I’m using acpid and laptop-mode-tools, and have scripts mapped to only the lid and sleep button. Both end in the echo "mem" > /sys/power/state and, when on power, resume just fine.

1 Like