USA: Government Agencies Starting to Mandate ID.ME for Identity Verification

I’m not sure I understand what you are saying, so please bear with me if I missed the point.

To verify one is over 18, one does not require to surrender ones date of birth. The government (issuer of attribute) already knows, and the person or device checking ‘is over 18’, only receives ‘true’ or ‘false’ for an answer.

The date of birth is securely stored, only accessible by the owner of the attribute. This is a big improvement compared to a driving license or ID, where date of birth is printed in clear sight.

Understandable! I do assume progress is made, but regardless, the principle of only sharing what is needed instead of waving an ID is progress for us mere mortals already :slight_smile:

A indeed, I misunderstood. So yes, I guess I could give my phone with IRMA, and the credentials to unlock phone+app, to my under-age son so he can buy alcohol. That is already possible without IRMA, and not what IRMA is intended for to prevent.

Agreed, thanks for the discussion, back to lurker mode :sunglasses:

Digression-digression: it also doesn’t work for astronauts.

1 Like

Yes. The “verifier” demands: are you over 18?

You the “user” hand over an attribute “this person is over 18”. The attribute might not necessarily be created by (issued by) the government but in any case some “issuer” who is prepared to certify that you are over 18 gives you such an attribute, and you can hand over that attribute to a “verifier” when required. The “verifier” can verify that the attribute is authentic and do so without reference to the “issuer”.

Yes and no. The date of birth isn’t necessarily stored anywhere, for the purposes of proving that you are over 18. As long as you have the attribute “this person is over 18” it is not necessary to have an attribute for your date of birth, or even necessary for anyone to know your date of birth (although obviously there are many other contexts where an exact date of birth will be required).

Example: You arrive as a child as a stateless refugee, without documents, in the Netherlands in the year 2000. It is manifest that you are, today, over the age of 18 even though no “issuer” could ever issue an attribute for your date of birth.

Yes.

In Australia it would be. :joy:

This is a relativity joke? Yes, that would cause all sorts of problems in the entire system, the low-tech drivers licence or the high-tech ABCs (Attribute-Based Credentials). That problem that day?

I think there’s a small practical difference though. A rigid electronic system, potentially being used online (remotely), may be trusted unthinkingly (automatically) in ways that would not arise where a person fronts up at restricted premises with a drivers licence.

I don’t remember why I tried, and failed, to set up an ID.me for me in the past. But I thought I failed to set it up, but found in just recently trying to set it up recently that I had an account withe just the limited info I had given them. Back then it took what seemed to be a very long time, and it seemed to me to have timed out wo setting up an account. So I’m saying ANY info you give them seems to be stored forever, so be sure any info you input to them you dont mind that it will be stored probably forever.

2 Likes

anyone thought about to glue FIDO2 Resident Keys with birth certificates? no need for a third party, just you, your physical key, and the government… via public-key cryptography

1 Like

A positive development: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/07/us/politics/irs-idme-facial-recognition.html

1 Like

The I.R.S. is developing another authentication process that does not involve facial recognition and is working with other agencies to create tools to protect taxpayer data. The agency said the change would not affect the ability of taxpayers to file their returns.

I’d like this to turn into an “in house” solution like discussed above if they are able to pivot from using that service entirely but will wait and see. Family member had to go though the signup process already for this, luckily no image upload needed in their case though.

1 Like

Just My Thoughts On It:
I believe that historically, it’s always the low income that are the first to be sucker-punched by any government.
Then, after a few years, the government moves the program to include the next low income group, those workers who receive minimum wages + a bit then later, attack middle income people; for it’s in the person’s best interest of course.

As I see it, the governments plan on how they will make children accept ‘1984’ rules and regulations as the kids age up so as they age, they become more use to government interdiction’s.

Ten years from now, today’s 13 year old’s will be 23 and accept being stalked, peeped, and SMIRC’ed as being a part on everyday thing. Cells or so-called smart phones, IMO, will be a required device that everyone must be ready to provide to any police, state, or federal agent. Everything will be in the government ‘cloud’.

In summary. Nothing that is personal is changing for the best. Our rights to privacy are being ‘re-purposed’ by and for governments. In exchange, the end user gets to pay monthly fees, is Stalked everywhere, all movements Monitored, updates Injected into devices without user choice, and communications Recorded in order to better Control end user.

…but I’m feeling much better now :slight_smile:
~s

5 Likes