USB 3 not working

Hi Mladen

Can you read my last post please USB 3 not working. I have done a bunch of testing and I`m pretty sure the mainboard is broken. Can you send me a new one asap? Or how would you like to fix it?

Thanks in advanced for your support and greetings, Marc

Hi,

We are investigating this, you will be contacted in the next few hours.

If you need logs let me know. Can you send me a link to download the original purism OS, which was on the notebook? I only can find version 8 beta 1. I want to make sure, its not a kernel bug. If you need more information from my site, let me know.

Hi Mladen

Do you have any news? Can I help with logs or what ever?

Haven’t I contacted you via mail already? I’ll contact you again, I apologize for this.

I’m not 100% sure why it worked, but after I added pci=nomsi to my boot parameters (via GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub) my USB 3.0 worked fine on my Arch Linux install.

Here’s the post that led me to try it: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/usb-3-0-port-not-working-925355/

That’s strange, but I am glad it worked.

Hey aarmea

Thanks for your input. I tried this with no success. I have to say, that my USB 3 ports have no current at all.

My new Librem 15 v3 has the same issue. 2x USB3 ports on the right side not working at all. Not sure on the USB C, as I have nothing to test, HDMI works fine, as do USB2 on the left.

As a non-tech person, and new to linux, I need very simple instruction if I’m to work this out without apoplexy :grin:

It might be that the wrong Coreboot image was flashed to it: for the Librem 13v2, instead of Librem 15v3. Trying flashing the latest image, and specify that you want it for the Librem 15v3 specifically. I had this same problem, too.

Brand new, with TPM, so it’s definitely new new. Does that seem even remotely possible?

New: USB C is powered too, so it’s just the USB3’s that are dead.

If the issue is as you suggest, how would I go about the fix? I’ve just spent a week getting it set up to my satisfaction, loading all of my stuff on in :expressionless:

edit: I missed that you stated L_13_ v2 not 15. hmm. Can I check somehow?
Thanks

You don’t have to reinstall anything to update Coreboot; just follow the instructions here: Building coreboot from source (official script).

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

Total n00b here, what do I do now?

Are you currently able to install software from the command line (i.e., what happens when you type sudo -i and press Enter)?

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for overboard:
xxx

now I am root :slight_smile: will try again…

Ok, that worked, but ended with a warning:

WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead.
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_dmc_ver1_26.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_01.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_ver9_14.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_ver8_7.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_ver6_1.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_huc_ver02_00_1810.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_huc_ver01_07_1398.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_huc_ver01_07_1398.bin for module i915
root@Librem15:~#

should I be concerned?

I went here:

https://code.puri.sm/kakaroto/coreboot-files/raw/master/build_coreboot.sh

and copied it into tilix, which promptly locked up, and then disappeared…

Those are warnings, not errors, and they have to do with the fact that the Librems don’t contain any proprietary firmware; you can safely ignore them.

OK, thanks.
How to run the script? see above edit.

You want to download the build_coreboot.sh script, and the run it. In the terminal, change your directory (i.e, use the cd command) to where you saved it (presumably the Downloads folder). Then, type chmod +x build_coreboot.sh. Lastly, type ./build_coreboot.sh, and the script should direct you on what to do next.

I couldn’t find a ‘download’, so I pasted the text into a text editor, named it ‘build_coreboot.sh’ and proceeded from there. It appears to be doing it’s thing now.
thank you for your assistance, hopefully it results in functional USB3! At the very least, I got some more practice with CLI :grin:

edit:

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks again, ezs777!