USB Wi-Fi adapter recommendations?

Wi-Fi died on my Librem 13 version 2 today. Settings -> Wi-Fi says “No Wi-Fi Adapter Found. Make sure you have a Wi-Fi adapter plugged in and turned on.” I have done the usual troubleshooting (toggled the hardware switch, power down and reboot, etc.) and I sent an email to Purism support.

Meanwhile, I want to restore some sort of connectivity, so I’m looking at USB Wi-Fi adapters. Are there any that are known to work with PureOS without installing a proprietary driver?

TP-LINK TL-WN722N, or any Panda Wireless adapters which are great:
http://www.pandawireless.com/Products%20|%20Panda%20Wireless.html

Those are good for pentesting as well, and work with free drivers on Linux out of the box (ath9k).

1 Like

I wanted to see if you can check the WiFi/BT switch, expecting that

(lspci; lsusb) | grep Atheros

would show either two or zero devices, depending on the switch. To my surprise, WiFi is always listed, even if off.
So, if it is not listed, it might be broken, but it seems more likely that the connector is lose on the inside of the laptop. I think I saw that before in the forums.

Thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately, they are not needed. Turns out this was pilot error. Using “nmcli” I deleted the wifi connection in network-manager and rebooted. That restored Wi-Fi functionality.

2 Likes

Was hoping you might be able to answer a question for me about the Panda PAU05. Since using PureOS on my Librum13 I installed it on a IBM laptop I have and when I plug in the Panda I get a message in the wifi setting that the firmware is missing. Thoughts?
Thanks!