User levels - and capabilities

Even having guidelines where any moderation actions must be noted in the thread and/or PM and then enforcing that by taking away those permissions from “regulars” whom repeatedly don’t follow said guidelines would be better than the current situation IMO. Sure, not automated and not ideal but better. It also opens a dialog for those whom have had their posts modified; letting them know not just that it was modified and by whom, but a post/PM could include why and is a reasonable starting place for any objection.

This doesn’t require digging into code nor using up a bunch of developer time and in turn might be a pretty reasonable option.

I think we’ve seen though how this can derail. I would opt for PM (particularly since the system automatically starts the ball rolling by sending a PM from ‘moderator’ to ‘OP’).

1 Like

Modified by a 20th Level Master Moderator …

This was a setting that was enabled by default in the forum settings for what discourse calls “Regular users”. We could debate what the discourse developers consider “sane defaults” for a community in a forum, but that would be for an off topic round table.

Given this report, we have debated the issue internally and removed this default setting. And now “regular” users can no longer edit other users posts.

We also defend that as a general rule, users should not be able to edit other users posts. As this can be a can of worms. And such a power cannot be automatically given reaching the level of “regular”, which basically relates to the time a person spends on the forum and number of posts that person makes.

Asking another user to change something in his post is totally ok.

4 Likes

:frowning:

I apologise to all the 3rd Level Ninjas who have just lost the right to move or retitle posts.

3 Likes

Don’t apologise mate, you just helped identify a flaw in the forum. You just helped improve it. Sorry I took it out on you.

2 Likes

Oh no, what will I do without my super powers?

2 Likes

fixed: just type sudo before the command. The code below still works

sudo retitle-post post new-title
sudo move-post post new-category
1 Like

This reminds me: https://xkcd.com/149/

2 Likes

Does this mean there will be fewer flagged posts because there will be less moderators who will have their sense and sensibilities offended by someone who mentions something about “sex, politics, or religion”?

I quoted my 1975 boot camp instructor, who said he would talk with any sailor who needed to talk about any subject except those three.

The “moderator” permissions we’re discussing here do not pertain to moderating specific posts only renaming/recategorizing threads. Moderating flagged posts is limited to manually appointed “leaders” of which there appears to be 12.

Posts can be flagged by anyone not just moderators. Moderators can unhide a post that has been hidden by being flagged.

Users can flag posts for lots of different reasons and from what I’ve seen the majority of hidden posts are either egregious violations of the community guidelines, or are extremely off topic.

I have seen many posts noted as restored by moderators that were violations of the community guidelines as well and as such I don’t expect the current methods for handling flagged posts to change.

1 Like

I like my new Librem-14. It took three months but I am super happy about the privacy that ensues from its use. I don’t know how to use it yet so i’m sill on a google computer. Can’t wait to ditch it.

2 Likes

I think now that I have finished transferring over my files, my MacBook has essentially become a music/movieTV show player plugged into my guitar amp :rofl:
Although if there was a way for me to play itunes movies and TV shows that I purchased in the past on my L14, I wouldn’t even need the macbook or apple TV for that…

1 Like

I’m sure we forum members would be happy to help you along the way. Just create a thread here and ask your questions as they come up, no matter how basic. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much. Do I have to install a web browser or is one available in the Pure.os Boot. I would also like to know what is Qubes.os? I received three memory sticks. One was the boot along with Pure.os. The third is Qubes.os what is the difference?

I believe PureOS includes “Web” (Epiphany) by default. I’m using a different Linux distribution (Linux Mint), so the only experience I have with PureOS is on the Librem 5 phone. You can also install almost any other browser you like.

Qubes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qubes_OS

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll be getting a Librem phone too, soon…

I have never used Qubes, but many people here have, so I’ll let them comment on that.