Utility Script has to be Updated

Greetings,

When I asked about the utility script, MrChromebox told me he was not working for Purism anymore. I thank him for his work. I don’t know who’s going to do his job so I don’t know who to tag for this post.

Since coreboot 4.17 is released, I think it would be useful to update the utility script accordingly: https://source.puri.sm/firmware/utility

@jonathon.hall I saw your name on Gitlab so you must be working on the project now. Congragulations and best of luck with your work. Tagging you for the utility script. I would like to be able to update my firmware by building coreboot 4.17 using the script.

1 Like

Ping @Kyle_Rankin @mladen

Hi @Hunaluto, this is up now (the 4.17-Purism-1 branch was there but it is now merged to master): https://source.puri.sm/firmware/utility/-/raw/master/coreboot_util.sh. Thanks for your patience while I took the time to ensure everything was properly tested!

I am indeed taking over for Matt, so feel free to ping me here or at jonathon.hall@puri.sm for any firmware questions :100:

3 Likes

Hi @jonathon.hall I’m glad you’ve picked up and continuing the work on firmware. Coreboot 4.18 was released a few days ago, when should we expect the utility script to be updated accordingly?

Thank you.

Hi @Hunaluto, thanks for checking up on this. I have rebased our patches on 4.18, but I have a few other priorities to address before I will have firmware images and script updates. I should have all the testing done in a week or two.

I’m going to try something new this time - I’d like to boot-test all the devices initially, then post the release candidate on the forum while I do the remaining tests. So there will be preview builds up sooner if you are interested in checking it out.

2 Likes

Hey Jon,

Great work with the last ones. When are we getting 4.19? Coreboot released it a short while ago. Much appreciated.

Thanks @Hunaluto, I do have this on my radar but have been working on some fixes I would like to include in this release (mainly the headset jack: External Microphone via 3.5mm Jack (Librem 14)). I don’t have an ETA yet because I need to collect feedback on the headset jack improvement, but I’ll keep you updated.

2 Likes

Off topic but may I ask why there’s a secondary seabios with autopower on? Is that about machine powering itself on after an electrical surge?

How do I choose one of those images when I don’t see more than one option in the script menu for mini v2?

Good questions! I wrote up a post about this: https://puri.sm/posts/new-automatic-power-on-firmware-for-librem-mini/

TL;DR: Auto power-on turns on the machine whenever power is applied, like an appliance. So if your power goes out and comes back, or if you unplug it and plug it in, it turns on. This is handy for using your Mini as a router, NAS, etc.

After you pick Mini v2 you get a choice of which firmware you want. The only exception is updating PureBoot when you already have PureBoot, in that case just flash the update and enable the settings you want in the config menu. (The preconfigured option doesn’t come up in that case because you already have settings in PB that it will preserve when flashing, it ignores preconfigured settings from the update image.)

2 Likes