Ventoy: Muti-boot USB Drive on Librem 14?

Does anyone know how to boot “Ventoy” USB drive?

Because everytime I go into the Pureboot setting and change the Boot option to USB option and I select Ventoy USB drive, it always fails to boot into the USB.

Any help would be grateful :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank You

sc87returns

1 Like

@jonathon.hall

2 Likes

Thanks

Should I just email the guy directly?

1 Like

I am using it BUT I needed to use the 1.0.97 version, not above. It works then great for me.

2 Likes

It is up to you. I would choose to remain patient.

I would take the advice in the post following yours i.e. be careful about which version you try.

1 Like

Heads (upstream of PureBoot) cannot boot Ventoy, this is a known issue: Heads cant boot from USB-drive with Ventoy · Issue #1320 · linuxboot/heads · GitHub

PureBoot/Heads are able to boot ELF, Multiboot kernels or Linux kernels (via kexec). Ventoy is not any of those things - it is only bootable via BIOS or EFI (comparable to booting Windows from PureBoot/Heads’ perspective).

While we would like to enable PureBoot and Heads to boot more OSes, in the case of Ventoy, PureBoot itself can do what Ventoy does. You can copy detach-signed ISOs to a flash drive, and PureBoot will ask which you’d like to boot.

A key limitation though is that PureBoot/Heads will only boot detach-signed ISOs currently. I believe Ventoy does not check signatures and does not care if they are signed. You can sign them yourself with the GPG key used in Heads if the distribution does not provide signatures of this type, or if their key isn’t included in Heads.

I think it is worthwhile to enable booting unsigned ISOs as well, though I can’t offer an ETA for that work. (PRs welcome :wink: )

2 Likes