Voice Mail on L5

So entering my number # and pin results in an automated answer “your call cannot be completed as dialed. please check your number and dial again. US 01 LV” ill peruse the interweb to see what that means.

I’m curious about this configuration, too. That config file has the “MailboxActive” setting and so does the Visual Voicemail app. They both are false on mine, but I can find no documentation on what this means or how to activate the mailbox. Does anyone have any leads?

Also, I get those visual voicemail texts from AT&T, as well. Are those messages supposed to be intercepted and interpreted by vvmd?

The message seems to be delimited by ampersands (’&’). I get a few variables in my messages. Anyone know what they mean? I see variables:

• ‘f’
  • ‘v’ - version?
  • ‘m’ - phone number
  • ‘p’, ‘P’ - often blank, maybe a unique ID?
  • ‘S’ - single letter, usually “I” for me and “U” in the previous post
  • ‘i’ - some ratio. It is usually the same among all messages for me
  • ‘t’ - Extra text, delimited by colons between fields

An example of a received text is below, with all numbers replaced with ‘#’, letters substituted with ‘@’ and text strings replaced with strings encapsulated in brackets ‘<>’, eg ‘<description>’. I mainly did that to protect me, as I don’t know what info is personal to me.

vvm.mobile.att.net:5400?f=#&v=####&m=##########&p=<mixed case, no space, often empty>&P=<same as 'p'>&S=@&s=####&i=###/###&t=#:<same as 'm'>
:@:CMSGROUP#####:ms##:<client/WEB/IMAP4>:#####

I see on vvmd gitlab page that there is a branch called ‘wip/att_fix’. So, that is where I’ll begin to look.

2 Likes

Did you get anywhere with this?

All of the parsing stuff is here: https://gitlab.com/kop316/vvmd/-/blob/main/src/vvmutil.c#L469

I don’t have an AT&T SIM anymore, and I don’t really want to spend $50 to get the AT&T to work again.

If you need help too, feel free to hop on #opensourcemms:matrix.org (or OFTC if you like IRC)

Checking in, did you try vvmd with this? At one point it worked with AT&T.

If not, I am happy to work with you to fix it. I am on matrix in the #opensourcemms:matrix.org channel

I never got very far with it. I merged the main branch into the att_fix branch, checked the diff, and was promptly pulled off to something else in my personal life.

I might be losing AT&T today, though. If the port of my number is unsuccessful, then I’ll have AT&T a bit longer. I could then try and hop on for an hour or two of work this evening.

As an aside, I should also get on Matrix. It seems cool.

No worries, it happens!

As an FYI, I took all of the code from the att_fix branch and merged it into the main branch: https://gitlab.com/kop316/vvmd/-/merge_requests/34

I am pretty certain the only issue is that AT&T changed how it obfuscates it’s password code: https://gitlab.com/kop316/vvmd/-/issues/8

Assuming that is the case, and you have an Android Phone handy, we should be able to fix that.

1 Like

On my L5 (in Preferences for VVM), there’s a check mark next to VVMD Running, but an x next to Mailbox Active, which is presumably why it’s not working for me. Any idea how to make it work? Settings? I have Tello/T-Mobile and regular voicemail (calling 123) works.

1 Like

According to apt search both the player app and the daemon are out dated in the the PureOS repository.
vmd/byzantium 0.12-1pureos1 amd64
Visual Voicemail Daemon

vvmplayer/byzantium 1.5-1~pureos1 amd64
Visual Voicemail Player

Current Version updated in the GitLab page was updated a month ago.

I have not looked through it as of yet to see what has been changed but clearly the if you are getting the app from the app store it will not be up to date as with a lot of apps there. It seems to me that is you want the current version you will have to follow the README and build it yourself.

1 Like

Refreshing this thread - does anyone have vvm working with AweSIM these days? If so, what did you need to do to get there?

1 Like