VoLTE support progress

To emphasize this and the need to test the update utility and the firmware before releasing. We found a new case that we had not previously seen in tests with a couple of devices and are now troubleshooting this.

11 Likes

Asked at my MVNO if my IMEI/phone number is on some VoLTE ā€œblock listā€. They said its not, my device is allowed to do VoLTE. Still I didnā€™t get it working on the Deutsche Telekom network. Iā€™m now a bit lost on how I could further investigate this issue.

Maybe in the end Iā€™ll just switch my SIM to Vodafone or Telefonica-O2.

What is the name of the tool/utility?

I would like to replace PureOS with NixOS and want to verify if the tool/utility is either available in or can be packaged for NixOS.

1 Like

This would be a very exciting project. Please write a report when you have some progress.

The utility is there in Purism repos, but for some reason purism still not bump the firmwaresā€¦

Maybe this one:
Files Ā· main Ā· Librem5 / bm818-tools Ā· GitLab (puri.sm)

1 Like

But what is the name :thinking:

I do not want say anything till Purism_joao acevedo reveal all. just wait.

That is putting some pressure on me :wink:

AFIK the tool was not yet released.

2 Likes

I am using a SIM card from Telia, Sweden. I have not yet updated the modem firmware, but I wanted to try and see if I could enable VoLTE on my L5.

purism@pureos:~$ sudo /usr/bin/bm818-volte on
[sudo] password for purism: 
/usr/bin/bm818-volte on
enabling VoLTE

That looks alright, but when making a phone call my phone still goes from 4G to 3G or 2G, so I guess it isnā€™t working.
Using the /usr/bin/volte-gui tool, it shows that VoLTE is not enabled. /usr/bin/bm818-fw-check shows nothing

Modem Firmware is: [empty]

Both two gui tools, exit with /dev/ttyUSB3: Access denied although I have added purism to the dialout group.

@joao.azevedo Is it safe to upgrade the modem firmware, and if so, could I get a PM on how to do that?

Thanks

1 Like

I think it used to be that you need to restart the phone (really the modem?) after enabling VoLTE. Did you do that?

Not explicitly after issuing the command, but phone has been restarted since then, so yes. Question remains though, why I am getting warning messages and the fw or the state is not picked up by the gui tools.

Yesterday I wasnā€™t able to make phone calls.
After entering a number and hitting the dial button, the display said ā€œcallingā€, but no actual call was made.
The upper toolbar showed a 4G connection with max. signal.
Using Internet (data) worked fine.

After some research I discovered that my carrier setting was set to 4G (preferred) and 3G only.
When I changed this setting to 2G, 3G and 4G (preferred), everything worked again.
My carrier is Vodafone (NL).
I suspect that this behavior is related to VoLTE.
Can anybody confirm this?

I dunno if itā€™s helpful but Iā€™ve had to do that on an android phone before.

Doubtless.
See ā€œNetherlandsā€ Vodafone entry here: https://1ot.mobi/resources/blog/a-complete-overview-of-2g-3g-sunsets
With VoLTE not active on your modem, the phone would not be able to make or receive calls on 4G. Since Vodafone NL has already shut down 3G, then thatā€™s not available for calling, either. With 2G, 3G, and 4G enabled, your modem is able to execute calls over Vodafone NL 2G, which still exists, unlike 3G.

P.S. Your 4G data connection was active, but the modem could not call over 4G, and also could not switch the call to 3G or 2G until you enabled 2G/3G/4G.

So if I understand you correctly:
I need to enable 2G for calling, since VoLTE only works on 3G or 4G (and 3G has been shut down).
Isnā€™t that exactly what I suspected and had been asking: VoLTE (over 4G) is not working at the moment on the L5. :wink: and so causing the problem I ran into.

Exactly.
You could also look at enabling VoLTE yourself on your modem, according to instructions that people have posted in the forum. It hasnā€™t been officially released by Purism yet, but some have chosen to enable it in advance. I believe @joao.azevedo has said he has it enabled. Heā€™s in Germany.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation/confirmation. :+1:

I wait for an official update to enable VoLTE.
Iā€™m able to make phone calls over 2G. At the moment that is no problem.

VoLTE only works on 4G, by definition.

It depends on a lot of factors e.g. what carrier you have (hence what country you are in), what software you have, what modem firmware you have.

4 Likes

I totally missed that incorrect item. Thanks.

1 Like