VoLTE support progress

My understanding is: not yet - and probably no real time-frame on when or if

If and when WiFi calling works, it should be independent of the cellular modem (and might even work with the cellular modem removed but I believe you would still need a SIM card inserted).

However in addition to needing this feature to be implemented in the software, at some future time, you do need your MVNO to support WiFi calling, for the specific plan you are on, and it can also depend on the underlying MNO. While all that information can only really come from the MVNO, there isn’t much point pursuing that until WiFi calling is implemented in the software.

Just checking in on where we’re at with VoLTE support. Is there anything on the horizon to get it working? I have all the latest firmware/driver and it still does not work for me.

Just to helping you a little, i have 2 Librem 5, one Librem 5 with an old 2019 firmware, the others Librem 5 have newer modem firmware like 2021, so the thing is that the VOLTE only work in my old modem firmware 2019, not in the newer firmware, yes sound strange but is what it is. TO BE HONEST I AM UNCONFIDENT HOW THE VOLTE WORK IN L5, as far i know the volte it is too much tricky, and opensourceblob.

I not using my Librem 5 as daily driver, because it missing an important part like a case, i hate scratches,dent, brokendown.

So you’re saying that getting VoLTE in new firmware versions is unlikely?

Yes, try different firmwares, and of course reboot the phone before testing any firmware.

Where can I find the different versions of firmware?

I do not know where is, may need ask to purism support.

Bear in mind that that statement is only meaningful if you identify the mobile service provider (and hence really the country).

1 Like

Canada and Rogers

It seems I have got VoLTE working with Telia Sweden now. For the first time I see this:

RING_BACK

CONNECT

AT+BMSWVER

+BMSWVER: M100E_1.0.0_190426,BMC_M100E_1BAD_3117_V1.0.0.0_20190426,M100E_1.0.0_190910

OK
AT+BMRAT

+BMRAT: FDD LTE

OK

Now the question is why VoLTE doesn’t work while roaming in Spain?

1 Like

i get this at telekom germany:

AT+BMSWVER
+BMSWVER: M100E_1.0.0_190426,BMC_M100E_1BAD_3117_V1.0.0.0_20190426,M100E_1.0.0_190910
OK
AT+BMRAT
+BMRAT: FDD LTE
OK
MODE: 3
RING_BACK
CONNECT
AT+BMRAT
+BMRAT: GPRS

Pray tell, what brought about this change? Did it just happen after an update?

So it seems, maybe also the fact that I have now also downloaded and installed the BM818-tool as a deb. I have spent the last couple of months in Spain, where VoLTE still doesn’t work for me (when roaming that is). Returned to Sweden just a couple of days ago and without doing anything (other than system updates) it suddenly worked.

Still no luck with T-mobile in the Netherlands. I just gave it another try. The tool said it had worked. Until I tried an actual call.

That whole VoLTE thingy is becoming a bit of a bummer.

Specially because the BM818 never would have been my first choice of modem, anyway.
I preferred the PLS8. For one, it seemed better suited for the European telephone network. AND it promised working VoLTE out-of-the-box.

If this problem is not solved before 3G is disabled on various networks, I think Purism should offer free replacement modems for everyone concerned. It would be the decent thing to do.

3 Likes

Possibly because the BM818 got certified for VoLTE by Telia Sweden, but not certified for VoLTE by any Spanish network you happened to roam on.

That makes sense. I wonder if there is a place where you can see a list of carriers where this certification process took place.

I imagine it would be enough to check the BM818’s IMEI on any network’s site to see if it can be authorized for activation.

Well mine is activated but VoLTE doesn’t work.

Interesting, how do I check that for e.g. orange.es?

I suppose you can find their BYOP (bring your own phone) link, pretend you want to activate a device, then input the BM818’s IMEI to see if it passes. That is IF they are currently requiring VoLTE on all devices for activation, otherwise, it will pass anyway, just due to the fact that its frequencies are comatible with the BM818-E1’s.

Orange is not mentioned on this 3G sunset list.

Another thing to look into is whether roaming connections are de-prioritized in some way on Orange, although that usually applies to data, not calling. Still VoLTE calling is over the data connection, so :man_shrugging:

EDIT: I found their FAQ about VoLTE (but haven’t translated it for myself).