What functions are important for the Librem 5 as a daily driver?

“Find my phone” is a punch in privacy face :smiley:

4 Likes

The way it’s been implemented so far, yeah. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have methods to do so, even if they have to be done differently to ensure privacy.

2 Likes

I’m chronically sleep deprived and I’m all for this! I don’t see why it can’t be an activated when needed kinda thing to interrogate and triangulate local base stations for their coordinates and then give that information to some sort of protected web interface with a nice gui (maybe as part of librem one services). It probably wouldn’t be as accurate as find my phone proper, but you’d possibly be able to tell if you left it in the coffee shop bathroom, it’s at the intersection where you ran for the bus and it fell out of your pocket, etc. etc. just by recognizing the general area.

2 Likes

Sleep deprevation, now thats a tune we can all dance to. :dizzy_face:

Honestly I’d settle for just being able to take my phone off silent so I can call it. So many hours spent searching in vain. Painful stuff.

2 Likes

should suffice to adopt classic t-hunting techniques :slight_smile: just need to program in some transmitting pattern to beacon it.

1 Like

Assuming the phone is powered on and connected to the network, SSHing into it should be easy. Then you can make it ring, take a picture with it’s camera, turn on the flashlight, et cetera, same as if you were holding the phone. Should make finding it relatively easy.

4 Likes

Yep, and using something like a wireguard VPN would even allow you to do that whatever IP adress you have, even on mobile data …

2 Likes

if it doesn’t stream yt BabyWogue channel in 1080p 60fps at least with no tearing then it’s not meme capable #trolls-rejoice

I don’t have WA on my Android phone and never had it. I don’t see why you suppose ordinary people will buy an exempensive experimental Librem 5 just because it could have Anbox to run WA.
I can’t see any liberty in app install inhibition. I don’t want install WA but I wan’t the right to do so like any other software if I want or I need to do. And it is largely better to have a potentially dangerous app running in a trusted isolated environment instead of the same running wildly bareback in a Google phone.

Obviously native apps should be the way but Android apps would be a great backup for the first times (and second ones).

Offer this possibility can help new (and old) customers to trust the usability of the project. People who isn’t concerned about digital rights and privacy will buy other phones anyway.

3 Likes

I think calling not actively supporting another platform “inhibition” is a bit much. “Inhibition” would be to take the stance that “you can only install our software on this hardware, nothing else,” not “we aren’t taking the time to support foreign software.” Their only obligation is to their word, and up to this point they’ve been keeping it (disagreements on what “transparency” means and whether or not they actually met their shipping deadlines notwithstanding, I believe those horses are pretty well dead anyway). If (the collective) you want Anbox running on the Librem 5, you are uninhibited and free to make it happen.

6 Likes

So it seems point 5 is knocking the door

3 Likes

I’d add the ability to use the phone as a hotspot (internet sharing) in this list. Needed for people who work while travelling (like me).

1 Like

I do not foresee any problems with that - only if redpine won’t support AP mode (anyone with l5/dev kit can do iw list?)

There is also another post where a/the bluetooth connection is shown in action

2 Likes

That for me is a “nice to have”. However it could be achieved in one or more of the following three ways.

1. WiFi
  2. USB
  3. Bluetooth

listed in order of decreasing preference for me.

2 Likes

I don’t know much about bluetooth, so forgive me if the question reeks of ignorance. Will the Librem5 be able to link up with my car? Will it only do media or call audio as well?

I think the Handsfreelink in my car only does call audio, and I’m hoping to be able to use it with the librem5 when it arrives.

I don’t have a L5 yet, but given that it is running a regular Bluez-stack on Linux, call audio should work just fine. At least headsets work fine nowadays on my Debian-based Laptops on GNOME.

1 Like

so far only media (this is default profile supported by pulse and bluez). calls/messages in the future.
Edit: If you mean by calls - receive/answer calls - then yes, that’s also supported by pulse (a2dp/hfp)

2 Likes

If you add the alsa-bluez support, it’s a lot less janky than pulse-bluez.

Perhaps the most successful Linux mobile device is the Nokia N9 and far ahead of its time.
Purism is not Nokia or any other big name. All the more, the decision to produce a device powered by Opensource-GNU/Linux is more than brave.

I use L5 every day, I can receive a call, make a call, send a message, view web content. The above functions meet my expectations for a device that was developed from scratch by a small company over the past 5-6 years. A lot of community support is needed for further development.

Of course this little pocket computer can do a lot more, the biggest limit is what I know. The same applies to Pinephone.
In the name of free and open source, these two projects should not fail because I will be too old for any next attempt :slight_smile:

3 Likes