What I want in PureOS

I work with very powerful non-profit organizations, and I pickup on general solutions.

1. I want desktop icons, organize all icon sections, icon size adjustments, and icon look change tool, as standard.

2. I want right click copy and paste as standard.

3. I want Comodo security suite, ProtonVPN, Epic browser with family safe internet, ProtonMail, and Signal, as standard.

4. I want screen capture and keylogger blockers as standard.

5. I want EASY offline how-to video walkthroughs built-in as standard. Specially areas of troubled setup like Wi-Fi and Wine security pros and cons. I want a video comparing PureOS security to Windows and Elementry OS through Mint.

6. I want a traveling for high risk work security how-to video as standard.

screen capture is already included and works real well. Or do you mean in the context of video conferencing?

Regarding your number 2: Please not, like ever. To minimize right clicking functionality to just that would be an atrocity.

Most of your problems are solved with 3rd party options. This is kind of how Linux and most mainstream OSes handle these kinds of requests. You build it up how you want.

2 Likes

I am a human rights researcher. I am not a programmer. I am not interested in learning to program; however, Windows and Apple are not what human rights researchers need.

Nobody will agree on exactly the things you see fit to be the default for everybody. That’s why stuff is customizable.
Make your own distro, or have the very powerful organizations you work with make it, or forget about it.

1. try KDE Plasma
  2. This is the standard. Where does it not work? Maybe Wine on Wayland or something similarly exotic?
  3. Not going to happen. Comodo is not free (as in freedom) software (Also it makes some dubious claims like “100% Secure Shopping” and “prevents all viruses and online threats”). Purism offers Purist VPN, why would they make somebody else’s VPN the default? PureOS has PureBrowser and there’s Brave with built-in Tor support, who decided that Epic is superior? Purism plans to standardize on Matrix instead of Signal.
  4. With Wayland as desktop backend (which Purism aims to use by default/exclusively), you basically have that (at least if you disable the screenshot API). Except if some software gains root access, which is always bad. But also if shady software only runs with user privileges, you are screwed, no matter if it’s able to log your keys and grab your screen. Bottom line: don’t run proprietary software if you are serious about privacy and security. IOW: Don’t run Windows binaries in Wine. If you have to, use a VM.
  5. Interesting idea, but at least partially outside the scope of Purism. Setup guides and security-best-practices for ordinary users would be great, but I guess they still have to grow a bit to have time for such things.
  6. Easy. Have a separate partition for /home/. Have an external, encrypted backup of it. Before traveling, completely overwrite /home/ with random data, then put some cat videos in the download folder. If forced to tell the disk encryption password, tell it. Use the Librem key. Retrieve your data via secure channels from some server. Overwrite again before traveling home. Did I say easy? Well, in theory it is. But very powerful non-profit organizations usually have security experts that will help you with that. They could also invest resources in developing tools that help to automate such stuff.
1 Like

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but some of these things you can do on your own… you just need to add them manually. I’m not familiar with all of the options there but it looks like you want the least amount of configuration and want the things you particularly care for out-of-the-box. Aside from the videos, which will likely never be offered offline, you aren’t going to get that.

Also, Epic isn’t any more secure than Firefox is. Epic breathes the same line as Opera but at the end of the day, Firefox is just as safe if folk know how to use it. I can load identical preferences and install extensions to get the same things done. The only difference is that Epic comes with these things preconfigured, which in my mind, is annoying. Convenient, but not very libre.

The desktop icons issue, I believe, are rooted to Gnome—the desktop environment. You can enable the icons via a shell extension but I don’t know if they’ll work like they used to. What I’m receiving from your wish list there is that you want them by default. Again, that’s not likely to happen. If PureOS isn’t launching them by default, you ain’t getting them by default.

It’s one thing to demand things you want as defaults but it’s another to figure out how to get those defaults on your own. Aside from the how-to videos, which I think would benefit enterprise folk, I don’t see any reason to include any of the other things by default unless the PureOS folk think so. Again, most of those things you can probably add on your own. I’d imagine there’s a way to get that going upon deployment somehow (maybe script).

I’m done. :laughing:

1 Like

Nor is Google what human rights researchers need.

PureOS is kinda bleeding edge and may not be the most appropriate for a Linux newbie. You don’t need to be a “programmer” in the sense of developing C++ applications, but you do need to be somewhat familiar and comfortable with Linux system administration.

If you’re looking for a user interface that has a more familiar Windows-like feel, try KDE, and take a look at Mint as an easier-to-use alternative to PureOS.

Regarding Proton, I use ProtonMail in the PureOS browser; easy-peasy. As ProtonMail is browser-based, there is no mechanism to make it the default. I use ProtonVPN, too, and have installed several configurations in my Network Manager setup. ProtonMail and ProtonVPN work very well on PureOS.

-logicprobe

1 Like